Click here to list ALL Makes
1980 Mercedes 450 SLC 5.0 = clean Blue driver + 14k miles For Sale
|1980 Mercedes Benz 450 SLC 5.0|
- Low miles: 14k
- Dark Blue on Grey
Here is another little sleeper in the collection – a 450 SLC 5.0 Originally made by Mercedes Benz for road rallies, this is one of the rare “grey market” cars that made it to the United States.
- It is estimated that only 200 are in service worldwide today.
The 450SLC 5.0/500SLC coupes were produced by Mercedes-Benz from 1978 to 1981 and are the rarest post-war models ever produced by Mercedes Benz.
- They were manufactured by Mercedes Benz to homologate the 450SLC for road rally purposes. Some cars were campaigned with factory support, but the rest of the production was sold to the European market to meet homologation guidelines.
- Fewer than 100 cars were imported into the United States as grey market cars during production. A few more cars were brought into the USA during the 1980’s as a one time “personal” exemption.
- No one really knows how many of these cars still actually exist, but most estimates are that less than 100 road worthy 450SLC 5.0 and 500SLC’s still exist in the United States at this time.
The cars differed from the stock 450SLC’s in several ways. The hood and trunk lids were made from aluminum for significant weight savings.
- The cars also had front and rear spoilers from the factory that resulted in a 9 –10% reduction in wind resistance and a higher top speed.
- Top speed exceeded 142 mph.
- The motor was among the first aluminum V-8 production motors produced by Mercedes-Benz.
- It was lighter than the 4.5 liter iron block counterpart and produced 240 (DIN) horsepower (over 300 HP in SAE HP terms commonly used today).
The combination of the rigid chassis, lighter weight and higher horsepower makes for a quick, reliable and competitive car that won or placed in several international road rally events, such as the Paris to Dakar and Mexican Road Rally events.
- Serious collectors please...more pics coming and on request...
$30,000- USD or American dollars...