Click here to list ALL Makes
1948 Mercury Bob Hope Special - custom 1 of Kind w Blue LhD For Sale
|- 1948 Mercury, "The Bob Hope Special " Convertible - Roadster - Cabriolet - ragTop...|
Made In The USA...Bling car.
Located in the USA...
- World War II was over and the era of aviation with jets was rapidly influencing all aspects of American manufacturing.
- The automobile industry offered little in two seater sports cars and there was a trend by those young enthusiasts to start building their own cars.
- Mechanics around the country built dozens of custom cars and this motivated Lloyd Templeton and his sons to build the Templeton Saturn.
- This same car would later be referred to as the "Bob Hope Special."
- Starting with a 1948 Mercury chassis and powered by a flathead with Speedway heads, a custom intake and twin carbs.
- The driver's compartment is fashioned after the cockpit of a plane and the dash carries numerous gauges similar to what might be seen in a plane. The car incorporates a number of parts from various m
- anufacturers, the bumpers are from 1946 Pontiac, the hood has been lengthened from a 1936 Chrysler.
- The rear fins are from a 1949 Chevrolet, the rear deck was originally the hood of a 1936 Ford.
- The chromed headlight doors are from a 1946 Studebaker and the front grille is from a 1946 Dodge.
In 1951 the car attended the Minneapolis Motorama and was chosen " Best All Around Car".
- The car became a work in progress and received additional changes and again returned to event the following year to be chosen for a second time.
The car has been featured in numerous publications and appeared in various TV shows and Car Shows like the National Car Show at the Pan-Pacific Auditorium. It's was used often for promotions. One of these was the Miss America Pagent. During this time a movie was to be produced that starred Bob Hope and the car was to be used in the film.
The movie was later cancelled and Bob Hope asked to drive the car and use it as he wished.
- This is a "One of One" hand built vehicle unique in almost every aspect.
- Built before more well know early Customizers such as Ed Roth or George Barris became famous with their custom cars.
- Here's an opportunity to own the "Only One in Existance"!
- Car enthusiasts, Hollywood Memorbilia enthusiasts, Collectors don't miss this rare chance to own a piece of Automobile History.
This car can be exported at your cost...
- Serious collectors please...more pics coming and on request...
$$ Best Offers - USD American dollars...