Click here to list ALL Makes
|Vintage & Prestige Fine Motorcars - ccts1407 Login|
|Vintage & Prestige Fine Motorcars|
Hemel Hempstead & Berkshire
Please telephone for an appointment.
tel: 07967 260673 01442 236711
|LIVE adverts (93)|
1912 Renault 5 litre 20/30hp By Kellner. SOLD
|Click here for more info / photos|
|1912 Renault 5 litre 20/30hp By Kellner et ses fils.|
Registration Number D8445
Chassis number 33369
Engine Number 4994
Body: Open Drive formal Limousine with division.
A magnificent & important historic car.
Originally ordered by Lady Lucy Markham, the wife of colliery owner Sir Henry Markham of Blatchborough Park in Kent. This magnificent Renault carries limousine coachwork by one of Frances most distinguished & longest lived Carrossiers, Kellner founded in 1860 by harness maker George Kellner who continued in business until the outbreak of the second world war.
Recalled another master coach builder, Jean Henri-Labourdette, whose premises adjoined the Kellner workshops in the avanue de Malakoff, "Kellner coachwork was always executed in an impeccable fashion & their design , of classic inspiration , was always elegant in its sobriety."
Sir Henry ordered the Renault in 1911 at the Paris Salon. It was registered in Kent on 11th September 1912 due to the time it took to build this bespoke body of the finest quality. Appropriately this stately carriage was used to carry the highest in the land including King Edward the VIIIth & Prime minister Lloyd George.
The body takes the form of an open drive limousine. To the front is patinated but very serviceable black buttoned leather. The dash boasts a speedometer & assorted original switches for magneto, Lamps, etc. Mounted to the running board is a brass acetylene generator for the lamps. A folding ladder of exquisite design, cunning & execution is fitted to the running board & may be utilized to access luggage on the roof. The front of the car is festooned with the usual brass accoutrements found on such machines. A hand crank brass klaxon is fitted the better to clear the hoi polloi from the kings highway.
The best part of the car is within. The doors open to reveal sumptuous walnut door panels edged with exquisite marquetry. This cabinet making mastery extends to an inlaid band of wood extending round the inside extremities of the roof. The interior is utterly original with bedford cord accented by ornamental embroidered brocade to the seats & window pulls. A rope hat rack is in place in the centre of the roof coyly holding a silk plush top hat. Occasional seats in buttoned cord fold from the bulkhead. A speaking tube & trumpet allows orders to be conveyed to the working quarters up front suffixed no doubt with the moniker "James". Blinds extend to all the windows. Roll down side screens provide protection from inclement weather up front.
Under the bonnet is a four cylinder Renault engine displacing some five litres. It starts readily & runs silently with smooth power from the large displacement. The gear Box is a four speed & very easy to use & make smooth changes with. Indeed test driving the car along the roads of rural Scotland was pleasure in itself. The engine size makes for effortless cruising. The last owner had no hesitation in taking the car on an extended tour of Northern France.
Without doubt one of the finest Edwardian cars I have handled, the car may be viewed by appointment in the Scottish Borders. In superb running order it will do well if entered in any "Preservation class" event. Were there a spirit of ecstacy on the front the car would sell for seven figures.
The car may be viewed by prior appointment just north of Carlisle
A gallery of large high resolution pictures may be viewed on our web site at http://www.vandp.net
Be sure to click the "More Pictures" button.
Office 01442 236711
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Adi 07853 226940
Tom 07909 857377
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment