Click here to list ALL Makes
** VW Scirocco GL 1.6, 1983 - Only 42642 miles ** SOLD
|==> NOW SOLD.|
Note - "45 H" is NOT the full registration, only the middle !
Just passed MOT (Expiry Date now 20-Oct-2013), with no work and only minor advisories. Starts first time and runs well. Genuine Mileage of 42642 miles (Sat 6.10.2012) - MOTs to show the mileage history (as previous owner had off the road, MOTs only exist for some years). Currently taxed until end Oct 2012.
4 New Firestone Tyres on 3.10.2012 [also comes with Michelin spare (1 mile used), plus three part used Michelin tyres (3475 miles each)] - long story...
The Scirocco has been admired by many who have seen it, and it is a good, solid example of a rare model - the MkII, Series 1 (one windscreen wiper, bumper overiders with headlamp washers, velour upholstery, 5-Speed Econo gearbox with Econometer on dash (fully working), etc.).
Stored in a garage by the previous owner - only used for trips to the shops for about ten years - finally sold, as the previous owner's Doctor advised him against further driving. The work needed to pass the MOT was done before it was purchased. Much more work done since. Initial work by a local garage with a VW expert (including fitting of New US Stainless Manifold, obtained from European dealer). Subsequent work completed over a few years by VW Hawco Fort William. Official Weber Carburettor replacement kit was fitted and tuned by myself. Stainless Exhaust system was fitted by a specialist Company in Aberdeen. Specialist Aberdeen Company then tested the emissions etc., on a rolling road, and stated that the replacement carburettor had been tuned perfectly. Both Head and Fog Lamp switches have been replaced with new parts; New Windscreen wiper relay; many small clips replaced (eg sun-visors, hatch cover etc.).
Engine compartment completely overhauled (see list below) - including NEW:
Metal water pipe
Cam Belt, Tension Wheel, Top and bottom Covers
New Distributor Cap
Fuel Lines - all old rubber fuel hoses replaced with the better modern variety
Radiator Expansion Tank
Sump cover and Gasket; Magnetic Sump Plug
Refurbished Cam cover with new modern version, single-piece gasket
High-tension cables, Distributor Cap, Metal Distributor Interferance shield
Distributor Vacuum hoses
Stainless Steel Gear-linkages fitted ( will never get sloppy, as original versions do) etc..
Engine compartment has also been professionaly cleaned, painted and waxoyl applied.
Other work has included: Both rear brake cylinders replaced; Underside completely cleaned, Zinc painted and under-sealed; Two New rear shock absorbers fitted - with new covers, washers etc. on the assembly; Fuel Tank removed, cleaned and repainted. The car had some professional respray work done by the previous owner and various extra professional work was completed when purchased by myself. The receipts for all the above work are available - it's a big file!
The car has had light use over the past six years - it returned 36+mpg on one long trip. (An old Petrol & Mileage book exists from the previous owner, and a spreadsheet + printout of Petrol & mileage for current owner's use is also provided.) For the last two years it has been hardly used at all, and that is the main reason for the sale. It needs to be owned by someone who will appreciate it and be able make better use of it. It is currently securely stored at a local storage company.
A PDF with details, other photos etc. is available, by email, on request.
Other Good Points:
- The Scirocco is watertight - no water has passed through the windscreen, door & hatch seals during the current ownership. This can be a problem with the Mark II, fortunately, not with this one.
- The Dash light switch was replaced with a new, old stock (NOS) version, as the dash lights failed when the car arrived, and the dash lights now work perfectly! This was a common problem with VWs apparently. There is also a spare switch (NOS), with spares provided.
- At top of hatch, paint has blistered next to the glass. Not too noticeable, but will need fixing in the future. (Pic in PDF.)
- The black window dividers on both doors have some corrosion/blistering. As with the hatch, not too noticeable, but will need fixing in the future. (Pic in PDF.)
- The drivers door panel inside the car, has been reshaped by someone's elbow... (Pic in PDF.)
- The nearside front indicator has a slight crack from the previous owner - does not affect the MOT.
- There are a few stone chips around the car, which were neglected by the previous ownerl these have resulted in a few marks. They have been sealed with lacquer. (Pic in PDF.)
- Oct 2012 MOT Advisories stated: NS rear brake pipe slightly corroded + Slight oil leak.
- Also, as the rear badges were stolen after the car was bought, but before delivery to me, the Scirocco Badge shows "GT" not "GL" - GL badges were impossible to find in UK/Germany/USA... (See pics.)
VW Scirocco GL 1.6, 1983 - Details List (see PDF)
VW Scirocco GL 1.6, 1983 - Included Spares list (see PDF)
- As the spares take up a fair bit of room... approx 18" cube box, containing remaining parts, will be sent by courier to the final purchaser. (Unless buyer can take in another car.)
- Also Comes with Haynes Manual x 3, American Bentley Service Manual (£70), UK Manual etc..
Only insured for the current owner to drive.
Well, if you've read this far you'll know if you'll be interested !
- Car is 100 miles North of Glasgow - viewable in storage, 8:30am to 5:00pm on Mon-Fri, and 8:30am to 12pm on Saturdays.
With all the work that has been done, and included parts, this will be a car that you could use "straight out of the box" !
E&OE ~~~ © SC1983 Sat 6.10.2012