1961 Bentley S2 Continental Four Light Flying Spur For Sale
The S1 Continental engine had effectively run its course by 1959 and could not be developed any further. The approximate 160bhp power output was more than sufficient but due to pressures and competition elsewhere Rolls-Royce sought out an improved power unit to deliver more speed whilst retaining the Bentley Continentals refined performance. The answer was a complete move away from the six cylinder inline engine configuration, to an all new V8 engine boasting 6,230cc and an estimated 200bhp boosting the power by nearly 25%. It had been developed at Crewe for some years prior to being fitted to the first S2 Continental chassis at the Hooper works in December of 1959 and was an immediate success. It was constructed almost entirely in aluminium and was of a very similar weight to the S1 Continentals engine, but featured hydraulic tappets to ensure quiet running. A few other mechanical aspects were modified including the braking and lubrication systems, with automatic transmission now a standard fitting, making the Bentley S2 Continental a motor car capable of speeds approaching 120mph. At a glance it would appear to be identical to the earlier S1 Continental Flying Spur, but there are a few subtle differences. These include a slightly lower radiator shell and scuttle, resulting in a slightly more downward sloping bonnet, giving the car a more sporty appearance. The boot line was also lowered a few inches to sit directly above the rear bumper blade, with the rear number plate and lighting arrangement moved onto the lower section of the boot. Inside the car it came fitted with a slightly leaner steering wheel as well as stalk operated indicators. Chassis No BC99BY which we are currently offering for sale is one of just four examples built to Design No 7508/B in right hand drive, with a further two cars being built in left hand drive. It distinguishes itself from Design No 7508 with a smaller rear quarter light for greater privacy for the passengers in the rear of the car, which is commonly known as the Four Light design. Its was completed in September of 1961 in black with grey leather and supplied by E.H.Organ and Sons Ltd to its first owner, GKN Ltd, for their chairman Mr Kenneth Peacock. The car became the property of a Mr Cazenove of Cambridgeshire who had P&A Wood maintain and improve the car for him during the 1990s, the works included an engine, gearbox and suspension overhaul as well as regular servicing. The current owner acquired Chassis No BC99BY in 2013 and maintained the car with us over the past five years. Works included general servicing as well as numerous mechanical and cosmetic improvements including work to the interior and restoration to the woodwork. The present owner has spent in excess of 30,000 GBP on BC99BY during his five years of ownership. The car drives beautifully and is complete with handbook, tools, copy chassis cards and its history file. This rare post war Bentley will be hard to repeat and comes ready for its next owners enjoyment.
S2 Type Saloon
Originally delivered to Switzerland
Car Delivered on 22.4.60 to RR Lillie Hall
Chassis Number B.425.LBR
Engine Number 212.BB
Body Number BT.0542
Radio 501 TA
1959 was an important year in the history of Rolls-Royce and Bentley when looking at the mechanical development of the companies. The series one engine had effectively run its course by this point.....