Introduced in March 1932, the Frazer Nash TT Replica, as the name suggest, replicated the cars entered for the 1931 Tourist Trophy Race. Only around 85 of the TT Replicas were made and as with all chain-drive Frazer Nashes there were various engine/body options available, but the most popular was undoubtedly the four-cylinder Meadows engine with two-seater coachwork by either Compton, Elkington or in-house at Frazer Nash. The high-revving four-cylinder engine was set back from the front axle and allowing for sharp turn in and handling matched by a blistering performance due to the low weight. The bodies (both similar in style except for the omission of a passenger door in the Compton bodies) have to go down as one of the prettiest designs of the 1930s. With the whole body sloping back from the radiator and a curved tail the overall package is a car with an incredible stance that looks fast standing still. The real beauty, of course, is that the looks are matched by the performance. With the superb power to weight ratio and aforementioned sharp handling, the overall package was a huge success. In the hands of the quasi-works drivers, such as Fane and Adlington, together with their loyal troop of successful privateer racers, the TT Replicas proved almost unbeatable in their class in both racing and most famously on numerous Alpine Trials.
With The Frazer Nash Car Club going from strength to strength and the cars going quicker and quicker, the “TT Reps” continue to prove themselves to this day. The overall package of a sublimely good-looking car with performance to match is unbeatable and anyone who doesn’t want to own one is either ill-informed or simply wrong. Of the 85 or so TT Replica Frazer Nashes produced it is thought that only around 25 original Compton, Elkington or Frazer Nash bodied cars survive with original coachwork and thus are highly sought after by those in the know.
This early example of the TT Replica, chassis no. 2057, was according to Jenks’ book From Chain Drive to Turbo Chargerfitted with a Meadows engine from new, a body by Compton and sold new to a Mr. Parker and registered ‘MV 2989’ in July 1932. The original Compton body (still on the car) was constructed with competition in mind, with easily removable wings and no doors to reduce weight, whilst at the same time increasing strength. The early pre-war history is not documented to date and it is not known whether or not the car competed in any events at club level in the period but it seems quite possible given the original specification.
The ownership history of ‘MV 2989’ is known and documented from as far back at 1954 and from the 1956 the car stayed in long-term ownership with Brian Walker of Kent. Early on in Walker’s ownership the original Meadows unit had expired, damaging the original crankcase in the process and so he fitted a Triumph TR unit to keep the car on the road. Walker was not an active member of either The Frazer Nash Car Club or the VSCC and thus the car was rarely seen at the usual events, but was apparently used regularly at local club events by Brain Walker and his brother for many years until it was eventually sold to Phil Diffey in around 2011. During Diffey’s ownership ‘MV 2989’ was restored and the details of the work carried out are included in this history file offered with the car. The original body was stripped off the chassis and the original chassis inspected for any damage. The car had been painted red in the 1960s, but traces of the original green paint were found on the chassis and fuel tank. The original body was repainted green and running gear restored. The original Meadows 4ED engine had not been with the car for many years so a correct type replacement unit was sourced. In 2014 the Frazer Nash went to Blakeney Motorsport in Hertfordshire and further extensive works were carried out. The engine was fully rebuilt to high performance fast road specification, with new crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, high lift camshaft and new valve gear. The car was re-wired by club secretary and electrical guru, Winston Teague, with the option of indicators for increased safety when over-taking modern traffic.
The most recent owners have enjoyed the car on endurance rally events such as The Flying Scotsman as well as other minor club events. With c.110bhp on tap to power only around 700kilos of weight, this early, rare and original Frazer Nash has the performance and style to put most modern sports cars to shame. Sold only to make way for the wife’s new hairdo, ‘MV 2989’ will offer the new owner all the motoring opportunity they could wish for from a well-rounded sports car being equally at home on both the road and track. It is eligible to compete at The Goodwood Revival Meeting, Silverstone Classic and a plethora of Vintage Sports Car Club speed events as well as The Alpine Trial, Flying Scotsman and other endurance rally events in Europe and USA. It would, of course, also be a most welcome addition to the famed ‘Raids’ and ice-racing events organised by The Frazer Nash Car Club. Viewing and close inspection of the car and accompanying history file are most welcome at our showrooms by appointment.
The Frazer Nash story is a fascinating one. Founded in 1922 by Archibald Frazer-Nash, the company (Frazer Nash Limited and later AFN Limited) manufactured circa 400 cars between 1924 and 1939. The company was highly regarded in period for building very unique sporting cars and the ‘chain driven’ Frazer .....
Frazer Nash Ulster 1930. This Frazer Nash was one of four Anzani Roller bearing powered cars known to have survived. Entered in the 1933 Australian Grand Prix, this Frazer Nash comes with an interesting and comprehensive history. Presented in beautiful condition after a 12 year restoration.
1937 Fraser Nash-BMW
Matured for over 80 years. One of the finest cars of the century.
Presented in concours quality condition.
Fully restored to original standard by Thornley Kelham.
Single owner since 1950.
Period race history and proof of heritage.
Extensive history and decades of hardcover .....
While many likely dont realize it, if youve attended any of the major historic racing events across the globe, chances are strong that youve witnessed a Frazer Nash driven in anger.
The story that began in 1922 when Archibald Frazer Nash left GN. The company he had co-founded with Henry Godfrey. .....
Chassis number 421/200/210 is one of the final chassis completed by the factory before production ceased so that AFN could concentrate on new Porsche sales. It remained at the factory in rolling chassis form until it was purchased by Dr. Barnet Stungo in 1964. He bodied the chassis as a fixed head coupe .....