For sale by Auction on Saturday 3rd November 2018, at Sledmere House, Sledmere, Driffield, YO25 3XG. Commencing at 12 noon.
Registration number ASJ 582 (non transferable).
Frame number CB 32 8380.
Engine number DBD 34. GS. 4074 (see text).
Gearbox RRT 2.
Where to start with the iconic Goldie? To start the story, we go back to 1937, when Wal Handley came out of retirement to ride a three-lap race for BSA at Brooklands. Winning the race, with the fastest lap of 107.5mph, Wal earned himself the Gold Star (awarded for race laps in excess of 100mph) and with it launched the Gold Star marque. The following year saw the first of the production Gold Stars, the M24, complete with the trademark alloy barrel and cylinder head. The engines were built from individually selected parts and bench tested, a practice that was to remain throughout its life. The machine, an instant 'good-looker' and a bargain at £82, was capable of 90mph performance though possibly without the handling to match, and pre-war production was restricted to under 500 machines.
Post war, BSA launched the ZB32 in 1948 at a price of £211. In order to satisfy the eligibility requirements for the Clubmans TT, over 100 machines were produced, 21 of which were entered into the 1949 350cc junior race, a race to be dominated by Gold Stars for the next eight years. The 350CC model was followed by the 500cc ZB34. 1953 saw the introduction of the BB series (BB32-350cc/BB34-500cc) with new duplex cradle frame and swinging arm rear suspension. These were followed in 1954 by the CB series with engine changes aimed primarily at the road racers. Immediate success was achieved in the Clubmans TT and this cycle of engine redesign and immediate success was repeated the following year with the DB series. Towards the end the Gold Star was only offered in scrambles or Clubmans trim.
In 1963 Lucas ceased to produce the magneto used in the B series, which was a prime reason that BSA and Triumph reconfigured their pre-unit-construction parallel twins into engines with integral gearboxes, simultaneously converting the ignition system from magneto to battery and coil. The Gold Star was not considered for progression to unit-construction, and instead the 250cc BSA C15 was developed (via the B40) into the 500cc B50.
There is little known of this example; it was registered with DVLA on the 1st June 1997 with a non-transferable Scottish number, so either the number was taken off or it was rebuilt at that time from a machine that had been off the road for a long time.
From the frame number we know that it was dispatched from the factory on the 30th April 1959 to the dealer Alex Parker Ltd, 31 Palatine Road, Northenden, Manchester, with engine number DBD.34.GS.4200 in Clubman trim. The engine now in the frame was supplied as a Catalina scrambler in frame CB32.194.C to Hap Alzina, 3074 Broadway, Oakland, California, and despatched from the BSA factory on 26/03/1959. Buyers should make their own minds up about the number stamping on the crankcase.
It was briefly owned by Mark Basson in April 2009 before selling it to our vendor the following month; he rode it sparingly for a year before parking it up in 2010, although it was MOT'd in 2011. We have had the fuel lines cleaned out, fitted new gaskets to the carb and she fired up but will need more recommissioning before use.
Sold with the V5C and the 2011 MOT.
For more information and for any enquiries, please contact Andrew Spicer on 01377 253151, alternatively email us at [email protected]
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts