The Jaguar XK140 Drophead Coupe is widely regarded as the most desirable of all the classic Jaguar XK models.
This particular 1956 built XK140 DHC is beautiful both to look at and to drive - it has its original OVERDRIVE and C-TYPE CYLINDER HEAD. Key considerations:
1. AN EXTENSIVE RESTORATION HAS JUST BEEN COMPLETED by a high quality classic Jaguar specialist using quality parts. Although it was NOT a “body-off, bare-metal” restoration, the chassis is very sound and the intention was to keep the car as original as possible.
2. IT IS A FULLY MATCHING NUMBERS CAR i.e. chassis, body, engine block, engine head, gearbox - Jaguar Heritage Certificate included.
3. EXCELLENT BODY FINISH - not perfect but very good - BRITISH RACING GREEN with black interior and beige hood.
4. GOOD DOOR GAPS with a straight body and no play in the door hinges.
5. Only 3 PREVIOUS OWNERS from new.
6. KNOWN HISTORY - Heritage Certificate shows purchased new (and then owned for many years) by Eric Stroh, owner of well known American Stroh beer company (the Jaguar Heritage Certificate and an email from Eric Stroh’s daughter both confirm this).
7. ORIGINAL 1956 UK REGISTRATION (when Eric Stroh used it here before exporting to USA) has been restored.
8. THERE ARE SOME ITEMS YET TO COMPLETE - see below. For this reason the price has recently been reduced from £139,000 to £118,000 which I believe to be a highly realistic figure.
Restoration to date includes: -
Engine rebuilt to as new.
Dynamo replaced with new alternator (which looks like a dynamo).
Completely rewired with new wiring loom.
All mechanics overhauled and replaced with identical parts where necessary.
New radial tyres on restored original wheels.
Chrome all round is perfect.
Original windscreen has no scratches.
Existing paintwork flatted and polished, small dent fixed etc.
Sympathetically repolished original wooden dashboard and other panels.
Dashboard instruments cleaned and checked.
Carpets and door cards renewed.
Boot internal panels renewed.
New stainless steel exhaust system.
New rear leaf springs.
New shock absorbers.
New rubber seals.
New fuel lines.
New brake pipes.
New throttle linkage.
Items yet to be completed (by new owner) are: -
Internally ... although carpets and door cards have been renewed, driver’s seat has some marks in the leather probably requiring seat recovering and the small rear seats aren’t the correct seats (too small).
There are no spotlights on the car although wiring is in place ready for them to be fitted.
ENGINEER’S DESCRIPTION OF WORK DONE:
Remove engine & gearbox, remove all interior panels, carpets & woodwork.
Completely strip engine bay, remove old wiring harness throughout car, transport car to body shop for engine bay welding & painting in black acrylic.
Strip engine, clean cylinder block, replace all core plugs, strip & clean cylinder head, decoke valves & pistons, check big end & main bearings, replace oil pump, re paint cylinder block, & cylinder head in Red high heat paint.
Vapour clean sump rebuild engine with new gaskets & seals, supply & fit new clutch assembly.
Strip & rebuild twin SU carburetors, new jets, needles, valves & spindle seals, polish dash pots, service electric choke assembly.
Polish cam covers, & breather outlet, fit new plugs, points, distributor assembly, champion plug caps & HT leads.
Re set cam timing, & valve clearances, fit new flywheel bolts & lock tabs.
Fit new engine & gearbox mounts, fit new chrome cylinder head hardware, supply & fit new dynamo/alternator assembly, new water hoses & clips, new drive belts.
Gearbox checked fit new overdrive solenoid, & seals, fill with new oil, engine & gearbox with filters.
Remove road wheels, refurbish brakes, repaint brake drums, fit new flexible brake lines, & clutch line, fit new brake master cylinder, fit complete new copper brake lines throughout, with bleed nipples, fit new steering rack gaitors, new track control rods, & steering rack ends.
Fit new Boge shock absorbers front & rear with new mounting bushes.
Fit new stainless steel exhaust system complete, with new mountings & clamps.
Supply complete new wiring harness, grommets & seals, refurbish all electrical control boxes.
Refurbish & restore wire wheels x 4, supply new period radial tyres x 4.
Fit new complete boot lock & catches, new front indicator units, new J type head light assemblies.
Transport car to body shop for front wings to be repainted & fitment of side lights, new side lights supplied, & wing panels.
New Lucas high low horns.
Remove windscreen, refit new screen rubbers, supply & fit new windscreen chrome surrounds.
Sand & re varnish all interior woodwork, supply full sound proof floor panels, new carpets, new rear panels, new door cards, repair both doors.
Re trim upper screen panel, fit new door seals.
Supply & fit new number plate panels front & rear, new over riders, bolts & gaskets, new glove box lock assembly.
Fit new battery, battery clamp, new SU fuel pump, new fuel lines.
Transport car to body shop for final paint finish, collect car from body shop for set up at workshop.
Supply & fit new boot trim panels, sides, floor & boot lid inner panels.
Fit new starter switch, & fit new driver`s door hinges, reset carbs.
This 1956 Jaguar XK140SE Roadster is a matching numbers car and a two owner car from new. White with original red interior. It runs and drives excellent and is a very presentable driver quality example.....
The Jaguar XK140 is the first evolution of the street myth that won Le Mans in the fifties for Jaguar, as its back plate says. The 50s in which, with a gearbox of 4 speeds with Overdrive, as in the.....