Chassis Number: BPW P1
Registration Number: 223 FPJ
As the son of ace Fox and Nicholl racing mechanic Jack Playford, who had been a key player in that famed teams racing before the war culminating in there Le Mans win in 1935, it was only natural that Brian Playford would grow up surrounded by the finest competition cars of the 30s, 40s and 50s and as evidenced by his later key role in the Lumsden/Sargent competition Jaguar programme it was clear that he had inherited his father’s mechanical talent. As such when Brian decided in 1954 to design and build his own sports racing car it would naturally be constructed to the highest standards possible, indeed it was the aim to construct a car to be equal in quality to the finest factory sports racers then available.
With this in mind, construction started in the Playford’s Thornton Heath Tuning business on a then cutting edge ladder type tubular chassis with a spaceframe section to the rear of the seats, using Lancia Augusta sliding pillar front suspension The same source provided brakes and gearbox (initially later converted to MG TC) whilst the rear axle was Nash Metropolitan controlled by a Watts linkage. For a power unit Brian chose the readily available and highly tuneable XPAG MG engine which was meticulously rebuilt with everything possible done to increase performance. The resulting car was clothed in an extremely elegant all enveloping alloy body inspired by latest sports racing cars available from the likes of Jaguar, Aston Martin and Ferrari.
Since all work was carried out by Brian to the highest standards possible (even the steering wheel being specially made to his exact specification) and had to fit around his day job looking after other peoples sports racers it took some three years before the Playford was ready to see the light of day.
Once the Playford was unveiled it caused something of a sensation amongst the club racing fraternity of the 1950s being built to a much higher standard than any other special of a similar type then competing. Having slaved on the car for so long Brian could have been forgiven for not wanting to risk this little jewel on the track, but not a bit of and the car was in action at Brian’s local track Goodwood, along with Silverstone, Snetterton and Brands Hatch (see programmes on file) with a race win coming at Goodwood in 1959.
So effective had the combination proven that Brian was offered a Works Drive with Elva in 1963 and as such the Playford MG was sold. The car passed through several hands eventually ending up painted orange and residing in Scotland. By 1970 Brian was able to reacquire the still remarkably original Playford with the intention of having his apprentices rebuild the car, but nothing ended up being done to the car. In 1997 well known MG restorer Bob Thredder was able to purchase the still very complete and highly original Playford just in time to be sympathetically restored for the first Goodwood Revival, where Brian was able to race his brain-child once again.
The current owner an MG collector who numbers the finest pre War sports racing cars made by the company amongst his collection, but had always hankered after a 1950s sports racer which was MG related but built to the standards of a factory car. In 2003 he was able to acquire the Playford. Since then the car has been effectively campaigned whilst being sympathetically developed, hence a George Edney built 1500cc engine is now fitted (what is believed to be the original engine still with Brian’s unique modifications is offered with the car) with further development work carried out by MG specialist James Gunn. As such it has proved competitive- when last raced at VSCC Snetterton it finished 3rd overall narrowly beating two Lotus Elites in the process. The car has been regularly invited to Goodwood taking part in the Revival in 1998, 2009 and 2013 as well as being eligible for many of the world’s leading motor sporting events and series for 1950s sports racers. Offered with freshly issued FIA HTP, V5C registration document and original buff logbook and a spares package, including the aforementioned engine, two Lancia gearboxes of the type initially fitted to the car, two sets of wheels one shod with Avon racing tyres the other with Dunlop and two new half-shafts.
The Playford MG represents a highly eligible, practical, unusual and beautifully made entry into the world’s leading historic motoring events.
Chassis n° 05 / 1971, Updated 75 at the time
Engine: Lotus Twin-Cam Novamotor 2000 cc mechanical injection Bosch / Kugelfischer; Completely refurbished in November 2017
Gearbox Hewland MK9
HTP FIA 2016 (Forumla 3 - Period HR /1974)
With Certificate of Origin
This is one of only 11 Formula 3 '71 .....
Chassis No. 073 / 1978;
Engine BMW M12/7 (F2) 2000, revised by Armaroli
Gearbox: Hewland FG 400
HTP FIA (Two-Seater Racing Cars - Period IR); FIA Technical passport; Osella certificate of origin; Certificate and original design of the roll-bars; Database Osella adjustments at the time of sale from .....
Chassis No. 015 / 1979;
Engine Ford Cosworth DFV F1, V8 3000 cc, 500 Hp
Gearbox Hewland FGA 400 6-speed
Car completely overhauled in 2014. Monocoque chassis again bought time by Adriano Paramento.
Exhaust manifolds titanium. Lightweight Lithium battery to 1.5 Kg.Sabelt Racing interior, with lightweight .....
1990 Minardi M190
The Minardi M190 was the 1990 F1 Minardi car designed by Aldo Costa; he is an Italian engineer and now he is the Engineering Director of the Mercedes-Benz F1 team. Costa was born in Parma. After school, he continued studying and graduated from the famous University of Bologna .....
OSELLA Formula Super Ford - 1977
Chassis No. 009 - Engine Ford Pinto 2000 cc, with 165 HP
Car very rare and magnificent state of conservation.
Purchased new in 1977 by Italian driver GIUSEPPE FRESCHI.
Freschi drive this car in the races of the Italian Championship in 1977/78.
Many works carried .....
1982 Van Diemen Formula Ford 2000 as raced by Felix Fisher in 2009 to win at Thruxton & Silverstone.
Philspeed engine, Faringdon lap timer and Racetech gauges
Spare set of wheels with wet tyres
This is the De Sanctis Formula Junior 1957 chassis No. 005
Technical features :
tubular frame, front suspension lower and upper swinging trapezes. telescopic dampers and coaxial cylindrical springs, rear suspension to lower swinging trapeze, swinging axle shafts, the upper transverse leaf spring, .....
Completely original car, AMS Autoracing Type 277
Chassis No. 62 / 1979; never crashed.
Original engine AMS 413 DOHC 16 valves - 1600 cc, with Lucas Mk1 Fuel injection.
Gearbox Hewland FT 200 5-speed
Original Lockeed brakes. Tachometer original AMS. Original red.
Documents: Certificate of origin. .....
Colchester Racing Developments in Essex was a small-scale racing car manufacturer, which started in 1960 by building formula junior racecars. In 1961, they created the mid-engined Mk3 to compete with the Lotus 18. Based on this basic formula junior single-seater, they developed a sports/racing car called .....