1936 Rolls-Royce 25/30 H.J. Mulliner Sports Saloon GTL68 For Sale
SALE AGREED A handsome car, which in the 1990s was lavished with a great deal of attention costing about £40,000, including a new cylinder head, complete repaint, rewiring, etc, etc. This work is documented in the large file which accompanies the car, together with evidence of more work carried out at earlier and later dates. This file also includes old MoT documents, photos of work carried out, an original, correct handbook and various other documentation relating to the history of the car. A good, clean, sound and sharp example, with correct P100 headlamps, long trumpet horns, twin side-mounted spare wheels, etc, and a good number of original tools in the bootlid-mounted tray. Although the engine is currently in need of attention, the car is available completed and ready for the road, or at a discount ‘as is'.
Chassis No. GTL68 Reg No. CYX 434
Snippets – Oil Wells & a Ship Yard Actress.
Thomas Lavington-Jacks (1884/1966), Resident-Director of the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (renamed as BP) was stationed in Tehran from 1926/35. During his time abroad Lavington-Jacks amassed an important collection of Iranian antiquities, including an Achaemenid silver bowl dating from 4th Century BC (the time of Darius III who was defeated by Alexander the Great). The bowl was displayed in 1935 at The Hermitage in St Petersburg and in 1998 was acquired by the British Museum. GTL68 remained with Thomas Lavington-Jacks until 1944 when she was acquired by J. Lloyd Shakespeare, trumpet virtuoso & dance time band conductor whose 1920s recordings included: “Roll Away Clouds”, Baby Blues”, “Laughing Marionette” & “Whistle Away Your Blues”. In 1942 Lloyd Shakespeare & his partner (later wife) the stage & screen actress Miss Betty Warren purchased Stebbings Shipyard which was located on the River Thames. During this time the firm produced lifeboats, whales & dinghies for the Admiralty & MoWT, A yacht previously owned by Lloyd Shakespeare yacht was one of the little boats used at Dunkirk; at that time it was owned by Lt-Col Claude Hardie and named “Dab II”, it was renamed “Breda” in memory of the 3rd crossing when the passengers were Dutch soldiers from Breda. Later owners of GTL68 included several military officers Colonel A S Lowe of Baker Street & Captain Neville John Buss who served with the Zambian Army & who registered GTL68 in Ndola, Zambia. During the 1980s the owner was Wilse Mare, an architect in Pretoria, a keen car enthusiast & a leading member of the Pretoria Old Motor Club.
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts