1935 Rolls-Royce 20/25Windovers Saloon GLG68 For Sale
A very clean & tidy example, nicely painted about ten years ago, and very competently re-upholstered in leather, deep red to the front and beige to the rear, complimented by nicely re-finished wood trim, new headlining and carpets, all in excellent condition. The car benefitted a few years ago from an engine refurbishment, new cylinder head, new pistons, etc as well as a radiator re-core, and just this year a new clutch. Well maintained, running nicely, performing reliably and ready to use and enjoy. Complete with an appropriate set of lamps, horns and badges, giving an impressive frontal appearance, enhanced by a full set of 'Ace' wheel covers, louvred bonnet and faux pram irons. Currently, a Pegasus mascot, which it has worn for many years, earning the car the nickname 'Peggy', but this can be replaced with the more usual Spirit of Ecstasy if you prefer. Comes with a large folder of history, containing invoices, correspondence, etc, some of it going back to the 1950s, and a great deal from the 1990s and 2000s, showing a substantial amount of quality maintenance and repair work, which is in addition to the more recent work mentioned above. Offered serviced, prepared and MoT tested until November 2019
Chassis No. GLG68 Reg. No. BXW 315
Snippets: The Flying Horse
Major-General Henry Lyons (1st Baron Ennisdale 1877/1963) the 1st owner of GLG68 earnt his wealth (he retired at 30) whilst working with Lloyds Insurance in London where he targeted the American market. One of Harry’s earliest jobs at Lloyds was to ring the famous Lutine Bell to announce both good & bad news. The bell was recovered in 1858 from the wreck of HMS Lutine, the ship had sunk in 1799 whilst transporting a huge cargo of gold & silver which was insured by Lloyds; all 240 crewmembers bar one had perished & the way in which Lloyds handled the insurance claim cemented their place in the insurance industry. Harry Lyons fought in the 2nd Boer War & during WWI was a DAQMG (Deputy Assistance Quarter Master General), in 1919 in he was awarded an OBE, knighted 1933, created a baronet in 1937 & a Baron in 1939 all in recognition of his services to industry and politics. Soon after his knighthood Harry & his wife Helen purchased the 2,000 acre estate of Baynard’s Park, they also had an apartment in London – 19 St James’ Place with neighbours being members of the Rothschild, Cazalet, Jardine & Wolverton families. During the 1940s Harry & Helen Ennisdale often travelled to & from America aboard vessels such as the SS Rex & the SS Manhattan, which in 1941 was requisitioned by the US Navy; when in America they often stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York & the circle of friends they moved in included Isabel Van Wie Willys, the ex-wife of the automotive pioneer John Willys, minor Italian royalty - the Prince & Princess Odescalchi & in 1946 on a journey from USA to UK aboard the Queen Elizabeth fellow passengers included Winston & Clementine Churchill. Harry could afford to indulge in his passion of horses, he was member of the Hurlingham & the Ranelagh Polo Club with games held in the UK and Europe, he often lent his ponies to the Duke of Windsor (Edward VIII). When Harry purchased GLG68 he insisted that his personal mascot of the immortal winged horse Pegasus be placed on GLG68 After retiring from active Polo playing Harry turned to breeding & racing racehorses & had entries in the 1929 Grand National (Rathory), 1947 Royal Ascot (Foxy), 1960 Ormonde Stakes (Light Horseman), 1961 Ascot (Kathyanga), in 1963 Irish 2000 Guineas, the Prix de la Porte Maillot & Phoenix Park won by Linacre. Sadly he died a few days before his colt Christmas Island won the 1963 Irish St Ledger.
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts