1930 AC Magna Six Cylinder - Boat Tailed Special For Sale
Built by AC Cars in Thames Ditton Surrey this AC Magna is fitted with the Weller Six Cylinder AC Engine and sports triple Su Carburettors . The engine has good oil pressure and a recent replacement head gasket . The Three speed transaxle changes easily and pulls well for a Vintage AC. Its a matching numbers car (original engine chassis and rear axle) . Ideal for Fettling and using in modern traffic as it can keep up . A full history file including African Rally Plaques is available.
On the 7th March 1930 a certain Mr Harold Miles Silvans purchased a blue AC with Coupe bodywork,carrying engine number 3467 in chassis number 15924, He was living at the time in London N6. In 1932 he moved to Highgate also N6. He enjoyed custodianship until June 1934, when it was purchased by Charles Hewartson Banks and the car found a new home in Bristol. Around 15 months later it again changed hands and was acquired by Harold Cummins Hansford who continued to use it until June 1936, this being the last time it had been registered in the UK. Thirty years later Mr E B Deacon wrote to Honey and Blankenburg Solicitors of Sailsbury, Rhodesia, offering the sum of five pounds for the remains of the car from the deceased estate of H C Hansford. Mr Hansford emigrated to Rhodesia in 1936 and presumably used the car until he decided to dismantle the car for restoration, however he passed before he could complete the project. Mr Deacon was successful with his offer and had been given permission by the executors to remove the vehicle on the 21st November 1966. After sixteen years, and without competition of the vehicle Mr Deacon had passed also. The project had been picked up by Mr Chris Gael, a well known amateur restorer and vintage car fan in the new Zimbabwe.The restoration had set off and after long analysis in liaison with the AC owners club, the Coupe body was beyond repair with further consultation of the owners club, Chris created a new ‘Montlery’ Style of two seater boat tailed sports. The frame had been constructed with Oregan Pine, panelled with aluminium, followed by padding and a final finish of Leather cloth.
Work continued apace and by March 1983 Chris had submitted his application to the Vintage Car club of Rhodesia for a dating certificate. The car was then registered and seen regularly at vintage events throughout Zimbabwe.
The New Zimbabwe was very unsettled for Europeans after the Independence in 1980. Many former colonialists escaped to pastures new- South Africa, Australia and some returning to England. However some stuck it out. Chris held his ground in the new Zimbabwe until 2006 and had such an attachment to the car because when he would have to ‘run’, he was determined to bring the AC with him.
A new fuel tank had to be constructed and this held 12 gallons, linked to this an extra long range tank holding another five gallons, built into the pointed tail. With the theory behind this modification that he could fill both tanks he would have sufficient range to drive from Harare into South Africa without having to search for fuel. However this precaution wasn't necessary as Chris sold the Accedes to Nigel Tucker in January 2000. However to test the theory conceived in 1983 the car had been driven by Chris followed by Nigel and his Wife in a Land Rover. The AC had four gallons on arrival in Messina, South Africa. After continuing their journey through South Africa, Swaziland and Mozambique. The AC had been tucked away in its new home in Maputo.
After the initial voyage the car had a few smaller journeys into South Africa, then it was repatriated to the UK in late 2000, after being registered by the DVLA on arrival, the original number plate had been returned from its initial registration in 1930.
This vehicle has been recommissioned to a high standard, that needs for nothing.