A chance to buy yourself a rare and appreciating classic VW. Firstly apologies for the length of this but I want to get all the details across!
This is an auction for my 1981 MK1 Golf GTI. This is the rare and sought after 1600 engine & 5 speed gearbox combination.
When I bought the car it came with very little history – what attracted me to it however was its (mostly) originality.
As I knew I was going to have to carry out a large amount of work so I wasn’t too concerned about history – I’ve seen plenty of horror shows with full history!
I have however since I took ownership of the car saved all paperwork and bills – I’ve not totted this up as I am sure it would upset me (and mainly my wife) greatly! This fills two folders!
Just put the car as SORN and the MOT was carried out in July – no advisories.
1981 Golf GTI in Schwarz Black
Circa 137,600 miles
Completely original specification throughout
Car has MOT (last with no advisories) until 11.07.2019 - starts and runs beautifully and is ready to drive away (Subject to SORN – due to change to free tax in 2021)
2 folders worth of bills since the car has been in my possession.
The details/Good Points:
During my ownership the following work has been completed:-
• Engine and gearbox removed before paint
• Front wings replaced – genuine VW
• Common rust around rear arches fixed
• Battery tray replaced new with new panel from VW Heritage
• Small area around windscreen cut out and replaced
• All other rust fixed
• All paint removed from outside of car / boot and under the bonnet down to bare metal to ensure all rust was dealt with – a lot of photos available!
• Repainted in original black
• New waistline and lower trims
• New bonnet cable
• New sunroof panel and mechanism fitted and greased along with new seal
• Sunroof aperture clear of rust
• New door seals fitted on both doors
• New rear quarter window seals fitted
• Dinitrol & Dynax used to coat the underneath to prevent future rot – not that I really used it in the wet but wanted to be sure.
• Dinitrol also used on arches (behind plastic extensions) as this is the usual place to rot and wanted to stop this in the future
• Driving lights wired into mainbeam light – pull the stalk and all four lights light up the road ahead
• New arches fitted (Heritage VW)
• New plastic bumpers fitted - front & rear (Crazy quiffs)
• New silver decals fitted along doors, and swage lines (as well as the often forgotten boot one)
• New ‘GTI’ badge at the front & new ‘Golf GTI’ badge at the rear
• All original ‘tarantula’ style wheels (never understood this name as they only have 7 spokes…) refurbished so no kerb marks, original caps fitted and new tyres.
• New duckbill spoiler
• WR56 Bosch Sparkplugs
• New warning type stickers/tyre pressure stickers etc replaced with new
• New OEM front indicators
• Original 80’s style number plates – the new ones letters/numbers are too narrow and look ‘wrong’
• Original 1600 engine installed VIN plate present
• Engine and gearbox removed before painting
• New INA Timing belt and tensioner fitted – new gaskets throughout
• Tappets checked and re-shimmed as required – can show evidence of this in the history file
• Rocker cover, timing belt cover repainted and correct decals installed
• New engine mounts throughout
• All new coolant hoses throughout
• New water pump & belt
• New LUK clutch kit fitted when engine out back in
• DOT 4 Brake fluid
• Gulf Tec 10w/40 oil used
• New oil cooler
• New alternator
• New Bosch battery
• New distributer cap & rotor arm
• New standard exhaust fitted (and adjusted properly so it does not knock!)
• Gearbox repainted and refilled with Redline gearbox oil – best stuff available! All gears select easily
• New heater matrix for the heater – proper Hella one not a dodgy leaky generic one
• New gear change bushes fitted
• New brake master cylinder
• New starter motor
• New fuel pump, fuel filter and check valve fitted – sorted the hot start issues I had
• Car has been rolling roaded twice at BHPerformance in Kingswinford – healthy compression across all cylinders confirmed
• Good oil pressure
• The first one showed up that the car was lean at the top end – fitting an adjustable 16v Mk2 WUR has solved this problem and a second rolling road setup was carried out to optimise – All graphs available.
• New VDO fuel level sender
• New heater valve
• Very good condition interior – drivers side bolster (by right hand thigh when sitting) was replaced along with material and also material covering the driver’s side bolster (kidney side)
• Roof lining is perfect
• Door cards are very good – 1 small nick on the rear passenger side one
• Uncut parcel shelf
• No alarm or immobiliser fitted – I removed the old one as old alarms are always way more hassle than they worth!
• All locks and ignition work off the same key – 2 keys available
• 3 gauges fitted in the centre console, from a Porsche 924 as they use the same font – Battery, oil temperature and oil pressure
• 1981 period radio fitted - no FM let alone cassette here although I have added an ipod lead so that you can plug your phone or mp3 player in.
Not so good points:
• Being very honest the paint on the bonnet is not perfect, it holds a godd shine but has a few marks and also a couple of spots of microblistering but these are not that noticeable so I haven’t had anything done with them
• Front quarter window seals are slightly damaged – do not leak! Purely aesthetic damage - I have second hand good ones to fit but just haven’t had the chance.
• Rear quarter windows – for some reason when the painter was rubbing the paint down he didn’t removed the windows until part way through the process and managed to scratch the glass – again not a leaking issue purely cosmetic.
Photos available upon request of all these issues
As with all cars viewing is essential – I can supply tea and coffee, maybe even biscuits! – as condition is such a subjective thing – we are in Sutton Coldfield, B75 and I’m more than happy to supply a jack so you can see the condition underneath.
I want everyone to be happy in the transaction so there will be a no pressure ‘sales’ technique and no rush to complete viewings as I believe the car will sell itself.
I love the car – so much so that I have joined the Mk1 Owners club – something I thoroughly recommend as they are a very friendly bunch.
We all know the price of these is only going one way, especially original specification, un-modified ones so if it doesn’t sell at this price I will keep it and use it for another year.
Only reason for sale is that since completing it I have realised that I enjoy the ‘doing’ more of the project than ‘having’ the completed project – so I fancy doing another one – if you have a MK1 Golf GTI that you aren’t going to complete please let me know, maybe we can come to an arrangement.
1,781 CC., 90 hp, 4-cylinder, MANUAL 5 SPEEDS, SERIES II, VERSION 19GU2E, 5 doors, 5 PLAZAS, 4 ELECTRIC WINDOWS, CENTRAL LOCKING, TIRES NEW, 1 OWNER ONLY, FEW KILOMETERS, VERY ORIGINAL, MAINTENANCE.....
BOTH KEYS ALL THE BOOKS , PILES OF HISTORY AND FRESHLY PREPARED READY FOR THE NEXT CUSTODIAN, THESE MK3 3 3 DOOR GTI's ARE STARTING TO CATCH UP PRICE WISE WITH THE MK1 AND MK2's SO NOW IS THE TIME.....
Original Golf GTI Mk1 convertible. £000's spent on restoring. Immaculate bodywork and an excellent running car. Fully resprayed with all bodywork issues taken car of. Used for a classic tour across.....
Le Riche Automobile Restorers have been retained by the owner, to sell on his behalf the following historic Volkswagen UK supplied historic rally car originally prepared by SBG Sport Limited for the.....
Silver, Air Bags, Power Steering, Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors, Remote Central Locking, Dual Zone Digital Climate Control, Air Conditioning, Radio Cassette + 6 Disc CD Player, Factory Fitted.....
SUPERB Unmarked example.
graphite grey with full black leather trim.
MASSIVE factory spec includes AIRCOND, ELECTRIC ROOF, WINDOWS,ALLOY WHEELS, FULL BLACK LEATHER TRIM, POWER STEERING.