1926 Voisin C3 L " Queen Mary " carrosserie Simon Pralavorio For Sale by AuctionListed as a historic monument:
This lot was listed as a historic monument by the Architecture and Heritage department of the French Ministry of Culture in a decree dated 27 November 2008, "in view of the fact that the conservation of the designated movable objects is of public interest from a historical and technical point of view". The attention of prospective purchasers is drawn to the fact that this lot cannot be taken out of France.
Chassis number 3031
Engine number 3385
- A Voisin C3L, the car used by Presidents
- The Marrel family's favourite
- One-owner car, used by Jane Marrel
The 4-litre Voisins were the favourite cars of the Marrel family, capable of covering long distances without tiring their passengers at a respectable speed in excess of 120kph (75mph). The chassis ordered from Voisin had all the available extras, including a Delco ignition system, wire wheels with aluminium discs and a stone guard for the radiator. Its body was fitted by Pralavorio in Lyon: a four-door six-window saloon, it had a separate compartment for the chauffeur, two rear seats and two occasional folding seats. It is presented in original condition, with its black paint from when it was new and undamaged black leather upholstery, wood trim, silk sun blinds and hat rack. As with all the cars from this collection, this is a unique opportunity to acquire a "one-owner" Voisin from 1927 with less than 33,000km (20,500 miles) recorded and in completely original condition. The sleeve-valved 3969cc Knight engine is a four-cylinder unit with a four-speed gearbox. We were able to confirm that it runs. When the car was seen in 1975, it was still in perfect condition, but since then it appears to have been laid up, so an overhaul will be required.
With thanks to Pascal Courteault for his kind assistance.
The six MARREL brothers, Jean-Baptiste, Jean-Marie, Antoine, François, Etienne and Charles, master blacksmiths from Saint Martin La Plaine, constitute one of the great families of French industry of the second half of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The factory, located in the industrial valley of the Gier, were initially dedicated to the manufacture of armour and cannons, and have one of the first quenching towers that reflects the high technical quality of their steel products. In 1855, they set up a unit at La Capelette in Marseille to develop their naval business, then a factory in Saint Petersburg, Russia. Specialized in heavy mechanical construction, in armour plates for ships, and the manufacture of shells and guns, these master forgers quickly built a real empire, rivaling the great German industries. Their factories supplied the emerging fleets of Brazil, Austria, Italy, Denmark, Egypt, Turkey and Greece. Their 25-ton power hammer is the biggest of its time, and the large chimney of their second factory, the Etaings à Rive de Gier factory, built in 1867, was for a long time one of the highest in Europe.
Mirroring the Schneider family, the Marrel dynasty of industrialists developed a social policy, and in 1898 financed an entire hospital, designed by Lyon-based Vernon. A sign of the Marrel's power, the prime minister Waldeck - Rousseau and his Minister of Commerce and Industry Millerand attended the laying of the foundation stone in 1902.
The six brothers will build no less than five castles in the valley, including that of Mouillon à Rive de Gier, one of the few remaining town castles with a park, which housed the collection of cars used by one of the family's branches, which Jacques Antoine Massimi, the heir, was still taking great care of until his death in 2016. The 1924 VOISIN C11 sedan was part of Jane Marrel's estate (1863-1944), and probably belonged to her husband, Henri Marrel (1859-1934). The VOISIN C3C was the personal car of Yvonne Marrel (1886-1970), daughter of Henri Marrel. The 1929 VOISIN C11, known as the "blue waltz", was the car of François Marrel (1896-1968), Henri's son. This is also the case for the VOISIN C16 limousine acquired by François Marrel in 1932, driven by his personal driver, Mr Fleury Chomienne, as well as the 1930 HISPANO SUIZA H6B called "Diane", and whose bodyworks were designed especially for the family.
All the bodyworks were ordered in Lyon at client companies that Marret delivered with sheet steel. In 1934, there were more than 11 Voisins in the Marrel family. These were the family's favourite cars, which owned at least 6 four litres, two 2.3 litres, two 3 litres and one 6 litre. The 1936 PANHARD LEVASSOR X77, standard, was Mrs. Massimi's mother's car.
Their dispersion should now benefit other amateurs, who will know how to look after them, as Jacques Antoine Massimo so devotedly did.
Photos © Yann Geoffray
Estimation 70 000 - 100 000 €
To see all the pictures available on our website: http://www.artcurial.com/motorcars