1962 VW Split Screen Camper Van – Right Hand Drive. Restored For Sale
We love an early Split Screen bus and are proud to offer this delightful example to the classic car market. Being a 1962 model, this is considered an early bus, which means that it has many desirable features that are sought after amongst collectors and enthusiasts. These include the iconic small rear window and tailgate, small round rear light units, flat wheel arches, ice pick cab door handles and the original full width front bench seat which is very often shamefully replaced for later style seating.
This bus has been subject to an enormous restoration and has covered approximately 690 miles since completion having been kept garaged since. The restoration involved stripping the bus back to reveal any areas of concern. This is of true importance as from the factory these buses had little to no rust protection as of course nobody knew at the time the true icon that they would become 50+ years later and as such there was no real importance to keep them roadworthy for decades to come. Any areas of rust found on this bus were replaced using brand new panels with no expense spared and the bus was then carefully primed and painted in stunning light pastel blue / cream and polished to a lovely finish. The underside was then carefully rust protected to ensure that the bus stays in its current condition for many decades to come, far better now than it would have been from the factory in 1962.
Mechanically, the bus had its old wiring removed and a brand new 12V wiring loom and fuse box installed. Electrical components have also been upgraded wherever necessary but without the need to replace rare and original parts. The mechanical system has been overhauled and the gearbox replaced with IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) to allow for more luxurious ride quality and a higher top end speed in 4th gear. The engine has also been upgraded to a fully reconditioned 1600 Twin Port unit which starts on the turn of a key and runs effortlessly with all new ancillaries. The bus is also running on a set of rare and original 15’’ steel wheels with brand new polished stainless hubcaps.
With all of the hard and time consuming restoration work completed, the exciting part of designing and building a completely bespoke interior for the bus began. This interior has been cleverly engineered specifically for this bus and features the following:
• Bespoke cabinet designed to cover the full width of the bulkhead with an extended section at the far end in order to house all required appliances. Lightwood veneered finish with Pastel blue laminate top to match the exterior of the bus and complete with retro Devon edging trim and black insert.
• Matching blue laminate fold up sections on both ends of cabinet for additional work top space. Very neat and stylish indeed.
• Vinyl Tile flooring in Wedgewood Blue & Ice secured with adhesive to 9mm hard ply under flooring.
• Matching overhead locker unit for additional lightweight storage.
• Bespoke matching blue laminate table shaped to look like a VW Split Screen. Complete with chrome pedestal and leg for easy attachment / detachment when required. Custom brackets on bed skirting board to house table leg.
• Full width custom Rock n’ Roll Bed. 3-Person Rear Seat that folds down to make a very large and comfortable double bed.
• Bed cushion set upholstered in wonderful and comfortable dark grey fabric.
• Waeco 12V / 240V Fridge
• Leisure Battery neatly in engine bay on opposite side to main battery clamped down securely.
• Split Charge Relay Kit (So both batteries charge up on their own whilst travelling)
• SMEV double gas burner unit
• SMEV large sink unit
• Propex Heating System. This is a gas internal heating system that alone can cost over £1,000 to supply and install.
• Plenty of cupboard and storage space
• Camping Gas bottle located underneath bed frame in custom container
• 240V Mains Hookup System with 13A socket and consumer unit.
This bus is truly stunning in every department and is ready to be driven away with the turn of a key. MOT and road tax fee exempt, however we can still supply the bus with a new 12 months MOT for peace of mind.
Registered in Jersey from new, this RHD 1975 T2 Westfalia with tilt rood has been subject to a full restoration by Le Riche on behalf of a client during the period 2012 /2013, and has covered only.....
Type 2 bay window camper owned past 16 years full body restoration done 2008-2010 subaru engine 2.2 16 valve fitted 2010 by tsr engine conversions in suffolk van was featured in vw camper magazine.....
VW T25 Camper Van - First registered 01-03-1990
One previous owner
Selling my beloved T25 Camper Motor Home runs on LPG (very cheap about 45p a litre) and Petrol
very realisable and economical