To be sold by Silverstone Auctions at ‘Race Retro’ on Saturday 23rd February 2019 at Stoneleigh Park, near Coventry (CV8 2LZ). For more information please contact classic car specialist Joe Watts 00 44 (0) 7779 082707.
Lot number: 380 - Estimate (£): 22,000 - 26,000
(+buyer's premium of 15% including VAT @ 20%)
- Developed from Peugeot's '20 Cup' concept and created for a one-make racing series
- A track-only car powered by a mid-mounted version of the roadgoing 207 GTI's turbocharged 1.6-litre engine (175hp/177lb ft of torque)
- With an original cost of €42,000, 207 Spiders saw action at tracks including Monza, Spa, Silverstone and the Nurburgring
- The Spider weighed in at just 720kg and utilises a Sadev 6-speed, dog-ring sequential gearbox
- Car #18 of 50, unused, 1 of 2 in the UK, has been a Peugeot dealership centre-piece since they collected it from the factory
When you think of fast Peugeots there are plenty that spring to mind; the 106 Rallye, 205 GTI and RCZ R to name but a few. The French marque has also had more than its fair share of sporting success too, from the Le Mans winning 905 Evo, to the record-breaking 208 T16 Pike's Peak, via the Dakar conquering 3008 DKR Maxi. Ranking among its less familiar, though equally cool, creations is this: the Peugeot 207 THP Spider. Developed from the brand's bonkers '20Cup' concept and created for a one-make racing series which supported several rounds of the 2007 LMS - as well as a round of the WTCC - the 207 Spider saw action at tracks including Monza, Spa, Silverstone and the Nurburgring.
Costing €42,000 at the time, this track-only car was powered by a mid-mounted version of the roadgoing 207 GTI's turbocharged 1.6-litre engine. It produced 175hp and 177lb ft of torque but, whilst in the road car it was encumbered by 1,250kg of heft, the Spider weighed in at a featherlight 720kg. It utilises a Sadev 6-speed dog-ring sequential gearbox with selection controlled by paddles on the steering wheel, making it a very agile and fast machine.
The car presented here is chassis/car number '18' and was bought directly from the factory by a UK Peugeot dealership and is effectively 'brand new' being unused/unraced and utilised as a dealership centre-piece. It comes with the upgrade pack that the cars used in the 2nd season of racing and a datum sensor for laps (both unfitted). Thought to be one of only a few in the UK, the car might now require some recommissioning due to its inactivity but is complete and ready to use as a very effective track-day or hill-climb car. An interesting talking point being a factory-built race car with links to Le Mans.
Chassis Number: TBC
Engine Number: TBC
Number of cylinders: 4
Year of Manufacture: 2007