The TVR Grantura is the first model in a long line of TVR cars and debuted in 1958. The cars went through a series of developments leading to the I to IV and 1800S models. The last ones were made in 1967.
These coupés were hand-built at the TVR factory in Blackpool, England varying mechanical specifications and could be had in kit form. All cars featured a cocktail of Austin Healey, VW Beetle or Triumph suspension parts and BMC rear axles.
The Grantura bodyshell was made from GRP and made use of a variety of proprietary components.
The Series II had MGA engines as standard but again customers could choose from a variety of power units. The IIA used the 1622 cc MGA Mark II or Ford 1340 cc engine and front disc brakes were standard.
A car with a 1600 cc MGA engine was tested by the British magazine The Motor inn 1961. It had a top speed of 98.4 mph (158.4 km/h) and could accelerate from zero to 60 mph (97 km/h) in twelve seconds. Fuel consumption of 32.8 miles per imperial gallon (8.6 L/100 km; 27.3 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £1,298 including taxes.
Approximately 400 of the series II Grantura were built. 230 of these vehicles are still known today and almost the half are today in a running condition.
Our model is a very rare MKIIB, most likely it can be the only existing. This cant be said exactly as TVR has poorly performing Documentation and after various Owner change many documents are not longer existing.
Although this model is not familiar to many collectors yet. The changes to the MKIIA are only slightly but TVR called it the MKIIB. Among other things is this about the attached document from 1976 by TVR from Mr. Kilcoyne confirmed. 286 XPH is mentioned aswell in Peter Filby`s book "the early years" over 3 pages (115+117+119) scanned and the existence described this model.
286-XPH is very perfectly documented car. Any bills over the past decades, reports, manuals, participate in various vintage car meetings as well as the original registration and the first sales invoice are also available.
286-XPH is today in a restored condition. Last time in 2013 the vehicle became a complete body restauration. Alone in this work more than 9,000 euros been invested.
The present owner bought the car in 2012 in northern Scotland and drove the vehicle by his own 996 miles in 23 hours through Great Britain to his new home to Duesseldorf.
286-XPH has still the factory status. The engine number is documented, even the Webber Carburetor is very well visible in old photographs. Only the electrical system was converted from 6 to 12 volts.
Offers are welcome
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts