1959 BMW Isetta 300 = Restored Red(~)Grey 32k miles $37.9k For Sale
Located in the USA...dry west....
1959 BMW Isetta 300
298cc single cylinder 4-stroke
4 speed manual
- A clean red Restored condition, a fun quirky classic for BMW enthusiasts.
The Isetta has proven to be one of the most unique, recognizable automotive designs of all time. Designed by Spanish firm Iso, famous for cars like the Grifo and Rivolta, the Isetta was built under license by a number of different automobile companies. The Isetta was first introduced by Iso in 1953 with a two-stroke motorcycle engine. In 1954, several Isettas competed in the Mille Miglia and took home first, second and third in their class. The Isetta's unique design featured a front door that took up almost the entire front end. The steering wheel and instrument cluster were attached to the door and swung out with it when opened. Concerns for the driver and passenger's ability to get out of the car in the case of an accident were quelled by the use of a standard canvas sunroof.
When BMW purchased a license to build the Isetta, they weren't content to just simply build it as is. A 250CC four-stroke, single cylinder motorcycle-based engine replaced the Iso two-stroke. The front suspension was changed, headlights were moved, and an innovative gearbox design helped reduce stress on both the engine and transmission. In 1956, curious German regulatory changes meant that the license category the Isetta fell into required an engine larger than 250CC, however the taxation category required it to be under 300CC, so the engine was upgraded to a 298CC unit. This net a 1 horsepower gain (to a grand total of 13) which reportedly greatly helped drivability on hills. In late 1956, the iconic, fixed “bubble” windows were replaced with sliding units which, though they changed the iconic design, made the car far more livable by allowing for sufficient ventilation.
- The Isetta here is a 1959 model which is equipped with the 298CC motor and although having benefitted from an older restoration, still shows excellent today. The car comes from a local NW collection and the previous owner to him took great pride and care in maintaining the BMW, taking it to multiple shows and parades over the years.
- The red paint shines very nicely and all the chrome and brightwork is in good condition, without pitting or hazing. The grey interior is like new, the rubber floor covering shows no wear, and the red plexi sunvisors are cute and free of any fading.
- All the electric accessories function as intended as well as the speedometer. The engine starts easily and idles smooth. The battery is new and the brakes and tires are in good shape. Entering the microcar is easy as the steering column and wheel tilt away with the door.
- Ventilation is distributed into the cabin via the twin kidney grilles when the lever is slid to open. The shift lever and choke lever are to the left of the steering wheel. Driving the Isetta is a hoot, you cannot help but fall in love with this darling small oddity.
- Although not very ideal for highway trips, the tiny BMW had a top speed of 53 mph and is more than able to handle in town commutes and jaunts down country roads.
- Get ready to be photographed and smiled at everywhere you go!
All inspections welcome... We ship worldwide.
If you have questions please email us below...
Shipping at your cost example...is about $1,500.. to the UK ports...
Thanks for looking....authz
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts