Introduced in 1982, the 944 bridged the price and performance gap between the 924 and the 911 SC.
Although the body of the 944 was based on the 924, it had considerably more striking contours. When launched, the standard 944 also featured a 163 hp 2.5-litre in-line four-cylinder engine developed by Porsche.
The 944 was therefore viewed as a "true" Porsche in the eyes of customers.
In 1989 the 944 S2 was introduced, powered by a 208 hp naturally aspirated, dual-overhead-cam 16-valve 3.0 L version of the 944 S engine, it was the largest production 4-cylinder engine of its time. The 944 S2 also received a revised transmission and gearing to better suit the 3.0 L M44/41 powerplant. The 944 S2 also took some styling queues from the 944 turbo with the rounded front end and rear valance giving the car a more purposeful look. Quoted performance figures included a 0–60 mph acceleration time of 6.0 seconds and a top speed of 150 mph for the cars with a manual transmission.
This car was subjected to extensive recommissioning, an overview of the works carried out follows and a document containing detailed imagery can be found at the link below.
Bodywork & Chassis:
- Extensive tear-down of vehicle and replacement panels inc metalwork fabrication
to remove all corrosion.
- New OEM/ Porsche parts used throughout including outer sill panels & Inner
separator pressings, part no.477 809 433 00
- Full glass out respray in original factory colour.
- Refurbishment of original Porsche D90 alloy wheels fitted with new Continental
Conti-sport contact 5 tyres all round.
- New Bosch wiper blades
Full Mechanical overhaul of 3.0 16V engine including:
- New belts / tensioners /pulleys
- New discs and pads all round.
- New Brake fluid
- New thermostat sensor
- New DME relay
- New cam-chain tensioners (essential for this engine)
- New Fuel lines
- New brake lines
- New gear linkages
- New gearbox oil
- New gas struts to tailgate
- New spark plugs
- New ancillaries where needed, e.g.
Alternator support bracket, moulded plastic cover to belts & tensioners, clips /
hoses / connectors etc.
- Replacement dashboard from S2 donor car - No cracks
- Refurbishment of original Porsche steering wheel
- New sunroof seals
- Installation of period Blaupunkt radio cassette
- New floor mats
- Reconditioned digital clock
- New audio speakers
- New Key & Toad AI606 alarm Fob
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts