1952 LAGONDA 2.6-LITRE DROPHEAD COUPÉ For Sale by Auction
Bonhams are delighted to offer at our forthcoming Aston Martin and Lagonda Collectors' Motor Car Auction on Sunday 19th May 2019 at The Wormsley Estate, HP14 3YE, 33 Motor Cars. The full online catalogue can be viewed at www.bonhams.com/25452. For further images and information on this lot, please follow the link.
1952 LAGONDA 2.6-LITRE DROPHEAD COUPÉ
REGISTRATION NO. XMY 138
CHASSIS NO. LAG/50/450
*Designed by W O Bentley
*Elegant British Gran Turismo
*Present ownership since 2016
*Good history file
£70,000 - 80,000
€81,000 - 93,000
It is said that when David Brown acquired Lagonda in 1947 all he got was a famous name, a collection of engineering drawings, and a handful of prototypes. And although Lagonda's chief engineer and designer, the great W O Bentley, quit the firm when Brown took over, he did leave behind the 2.6-litre, six-cylinder, twin-overhead-camshaft engine that would power the Aston Martin DB2 and the next generation of Lagondas.
Although it retained a separate chassis, Bentley's 2.6-Litre Lagonda was advanced in other ways, featuring independent suspension all round: by double wishbones and coil-springs at the front - a layout similar to that adopted on the DB4 - and semi-trailing arms at the rear where the brakes were mounted inboard to reduce un-sprung weight. It had been intended that the new Lagonda would exploit a perceived gap in the luxury car market between Jaguar and Rover at one end and Rolls-Royce and Bentley at the other. W O's design succeeded brilliantly in this, being able to carry five persons and their luggage at high speed and in great comfort.
One of Lagonda's, and David Brown's, greatest assets was stylist Frank Feeley, the man responsible for the Italianate flair of the DB2, and while Feeley's 2.6-Litre looked back nostalgically at the Lagondas of pre-war years, his prototypes produced on that chassis in the late 1940s hinted at the 3-Litre model to come. Production of the 2.6-Litre amounted to 543 cars.
First registered in March 1952, chassis number 'LAG/50/450' was acquired by the current vendor in October 2016 having benefited from re-trimmed interior and a new maroon hood circa 2013. We are advised that the paintwork is too good to be original, and it appears that the car has had plenty of work done, although it is not known whether or not it has been fully restored at any time. Exempt from testing but professionally prepared to MoT standard, the car is offered with paperwork consisting of a quantity of expired MoTs, numerous bills dating back to 1978, an old-style logbook, and a V5C Registration Certificate. A workshop manual, an original sales brochure, and a box of assorted spares are included in the sale. The spare wheel is present and the car is expected to possess a jack and wheel brace by time of sale.
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts