1971 Volkswagen Type 3 SquareBACK = Fun Surf Dude $11.9k For Sale
Located in the USA...
1971 Volkswagen Type 3 SquareBACK = US-specs...Surf is up..!
Model: Type 3 Squareback
Transmission: Four-speed Manual
1971 Volkswagen Type 3 Squareback
•1.6L flat, air-cooled four-cylinder engine with factory fuel injection and new electronics
•Type 3 was the world’s first volume production car to feature fuel injection
•Four-speed manual transmission
•New, factory correct Shantung Gold (code L12D) paint with black interior and new carpet and original interior paint
•Factory disc brakes
•Vintage Thule roof rack and Dana surfboard
•Custom stereo speaker under dash
Volkswagen fans who wanted more space than the Beetle offered but did not require the cavernous room of the Transporter chose one of the three Type 3 models, the Fastback, the Notchback (sedan) or the Squareback (wagon).
- Classic Cars is pleased to present this 1971 Squareback, finished in new and factory correct Shantung Gold (code L12D). It was made in September 1970 at VW’s Wolfsburg, West Germany factory.
- The paint and trim are in overall very good order. The headlights and windshield all have visors plus a vintage Thule roof rack and a Dana surfboard. The rear window is complete with a defroster grid.
- The wagon’s bodywork is straight and solid; the body has been lowered as well.
- The chrome bumpers with bumper guards are in very good condition. A pair of foglights perch above the front bumper.
This Squareback rolls on Federal radials, size 165/60R15 at each corner.
- Each one is mounted on body-colored, slotted wheels with chrome center caps.
-The tires are in good, original condition while the wheels are in very good order.
- In back, under the cargo floor is a 1.6L flat, air-cooled four-cylinder engine with factory fuel injection and new electronics. The motor is linked a four-speed manual transmission. This VW also has factory front disc brakes. The Type 3 was the first Volkswagen front suspension to incorporate transverse round torsion bars.
- Inside, the high-back, black vinyl seats are in very good order, its matching carpet is new, while the headliner is in good, original order. The two-spoke steering wheel, instrument panel and inner door liners area all in good, original order. A Pioneer AM/FM stereo with CD player and a custom speaker under the dash rounds out the interior.
The Volkswagen Type 3 is a compact car that was manufactured and marketed by Volkswagen from 1961 to 1973. Introduced at the 1961 Frankfurt Motor Show, Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA), the Type 3 was marketed as the Volkswagen 1500 and later as the Volkswagen 1600, in three body styles: two-door Notchback, Fastback and Squareback, the latter marketed as the ‘Variant’ in most markets and ‘Squareback’ in the United States.
The Type 3 diversified Volkswagen’s product range beyond the existing models – the Type 1 Beetle, Type 14 Karmann Ghia, Type 2 (Bus) – while retaining several of the Beetle’s key engineering principles, notably the air-cooled rear-engine, rear-wheel drive layout and all-round torsion bar suspension on the same 94.5-inch wheelbase. The concept of the type 3 was to let it be more of a family car than the Beetle, offering more passenger and luggage space and a larger engine.
- The model received a facelift in 1970, when a 4.5-inch nose-lengthening, added 1.5 cubic feet to the luggage capacity. At the same time, it got new big square-section bumpers and much larger tail lamps and front indicators.
Wagon competition to this VW in 1971 included Chevrolet’s Vega Kambako, Datsun’s 1200, Dodge’s Colt, Ford’s Pinto and Toyota’s Corolla.
- This Squareback is dressed for the beach and ready to help its driver catch some tasty waves.
- If you’re interested in classic Volkswagens or if you have a thing for wagons or estates, this Squareback would make an eclectic addition to anyone’s collection. Stop by today to check it out for yourself!
This car is currently located at our facility in St. Louis, Missouri.
Current mileage on the odometer shows 497 miles.
It is sold as is, where is, on a clean and clear, mileage exempt title. GET OUT AND DRIVE!!!
All inspections welcome... We ship worldwide.
If you have questions please email us below...
Shipping at your cost example...is about $1,500.. to the UK ports...
Thanks for looking....mtx
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts