1936 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Hooper Saloon GBK22 For Sale
A very smart example, in good, sound condition, sharp and eye-catching, being nicely painted in Burgundy and white. The red leather interior is particularly lovely, complemented by the excellent quality carpets, headlining and superb veneers. Externally, the car sports an impressive set of lamps and horns, twin side-mounted spare wheels and unusual composite door handles. Stylish in appearance with a 'sweeping tail', running nicely and fitted with a recent stainless steel exhaust system.
Chassis No. GBK22 Reg. No. EA 7473
Snippets: Darby’s Brewery
W. J. Wilson took delivery of GBK22 at Edenwood in Sutton Coldfield but only kept the car until 1938 when the chassis cards show it became the property of Charles Darby (1870/1949) of Darby’s Brewery Ltd. The company was founded by George Darby in the late 1860s; in 1895 Charles took over the Bush Inn from his father and in 1900 Charles purchased Dunkirk Hall from where he started Dunkirk Brewery. Just before the onset of WWI the 3rd generation of Darby’s joined the firm, namely Charles’s sons also called George & Charles, George being the eldest son was called up for military service leaving his younger brother to learn the art of brewing. By 1927 George had taken over the brewing side of the firm with his younger brother taking over the financial aspects. By the time of Charles Snr’s death in 1949 the firm had 100 public house but in order to raise the monies to pay for the death duties incurred the sons sold Dunkirk Brewery and the pubs to Mitchells & Butlers with George & Charles becoming members of the board of M&B. In 1945 prior to Charles Snr’s death GBK22 was sold to Frederick Walter Glassbrook who in 1933 had dissolved his partnership with Edward J Bartholomew Taylor, the partnership was Taylor’s Truck which manufactured Hand-trucks at 237 Kensal Road & was home to Mascots Engineering Co. Between 1953 & 1960 GBK22 was with J. E. M. Cave who lived & worked in Kuala Lumpar for the Ministry for Natural Resources but kept GBK22 in Devon for the duration. In 1960 Mr R. H. Coombes of Plymouth acquired GBK22 and kept the car for over 40 years in the Plymouth area.
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts