Great vintage car coming up to 100th birthday - I need to sell as I am moving abroad early next year and it’s just too costly and complicated to take the car with me.
All offers considered
Anyone looking for a Maxwell will surely know the history of this marque and this model which, when the Maxwell company folded, The company was bought by Mr Chrysler when he embarked on the car manufacturing business. The full story is on Wikipedia:
This Maxwell five seater touring car is for sale and came into my possession five years ago and was an unfinished project car and I have spent many thousands bringing her into her current good condition. The previous owner imported the car from France where it was first registered and it had also been a museum exhibit in a French motor museum before going back on the road in France and then over to the UK.
She will easily do long trips - I have taken her from London to different shows and a couple of trips to Bournemouth and back when she didn't miss a beat and coming back I ventured onto the M3 and managed 49mph on the flat. The original when new speed was documented as 55mph... but to be honest with a car of this age and brakes only on the back artillery wooden wheels ... I wouldn't want her to go any faster.
I am selling as I am moving abroad early next year and hope that a new owner will see the potential in this car.... I certainly have enjoyed the last five years and tinkering around with everything and driving her too. Also used her for a week as my daily car when my other car was being repaired.... so she is good for the shopping etc.
Here is the list of things I had to put right which in total cost around £8000 including supply of parts and (where needed) labour costs:
1. Complete re - wiring with antique style cable... this was the single most expensive thing to do at a cost of £1200
2. New tapered wheel bearings at the front.
3. Re-manufactured half shafts - splines had excessive wear.
4. Back axle re-built and parts replaced where excessive wear was evident - all parts had to be manufactured by a specialist.
5. Gearbox re-built - it had not been put together properly by whoever assembled it last time, Gear spacers were in the wrong order!
6. Clutch assembly re-built - the cone clutch springs were of the wrong type and the whole clutch assembly had to be re-furbished and re-built as a result.
7. Electric horn replaced with new - was not present at time of purchase.
8. Brakes removed, reassembled and adjusted after cleaning
9. Carburettor replaced with same model - parts were missing from the original one so had to buy a replacement antique from USA.
10. New distributor condenser and points fitted.
11. New coil fitted.
12. Accelerator rod and return spring replaced.
13. Radiator completely re-cored and hoses replaced
Some points that might need addressing by the new owner if desired:
1. The speedo cable supplied was the wrong length but with correct fittings - this needs to be lengthened by about 6 inches.
2. The car has a "Dynastart" combined starter/ generator. The starting side works perfectly but the generator produces only very low amps if anything at all. To overcome this I have replaced the 60ah battery with a 105ah battery which will allow you to do a few long trips - I leave the battery on trickle charge whilst in the garage.
3. The folding roof has been repaired many times and it seems that it is a design fault where the metal tubing stops and continues with bentwood.... It can be repaired but bearing in mind that it is unlikely to be needed it can be left as is. I also have material to make a hood cover and tonneau included in the sale.
All I can say is that this is a great sturdy car with a beast of a 3 litre engine and runs very well.
Please do come and see if interested and make an offer after seeing. If not sold soon the car will go to auction with a fixed reserve.
Serious potential buyers please.
This car is realistically priced and the model is becoming more rare. Give me a call to make any offer. All offers considered within reason.
ALL offers invited and considered for this amazing car which is just a few months off its 100th birthday
as found in original older restored condition, came from California so all good but seats and hood suffered from the heat, with 4 new tyres.
it will run, was in some museum in the USA and in storage.....