1961 Alvis TD21 Sports Saloon by Park Ward
Reg. no. 607 BRY
Chassis no. 26563
Engine no. 26563
In late 1955 at the Paris Motor show, Alvis launched its first car styled by the Swiss distributor and coachbuilder Graber. Based on the TC21 Grey Lady chassis, the resulting car was much more modern and sleek in its appearance and was designated TC108G. This car set the style for Alvis cars until the end of production in 1967. A small number of TC108Gs were built for Alvis using the Graber design by coachbuilders Willowbrook in Loughborough. These cars were very leading edge and expensive at the time.
In 1959, the TC108G Graber design was developed into the TD21 and production of bodies was moved to Park Ward. The TD21 was modernised in many areas, the 3-litre engine was further developed with an improved cylinder head to produce 120 BHP and this resulted in a top speed in excess of 100 mph. There were other mechanical and interior improvements such as a superior gearbox and optional servo assisted disc brakes.
It is understood that this particular TD21 was the first to leave the factory with disc brakes and wire wheels. It is also understood that the car was not used from 2009 until the current vendor purchased it in March last year. Since the car was acquired by our vendor, it has been re-commissioned, the brakes and carburettors overhauled, and tuned on a rolling road at Mek Motorsport of Cheltenham. From the printout in the file it is now producing 106 BHP at the wheels which is pretty good, given that when new it was supposed to be 120 BHP at the flywheel! In regular use since its recommissioning, it is now only for sale due to lack of space and is offered with a V5c.
This and 60 other classic cars and motorcycles will be sold on June 15th at Allington, near Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN14 6LJ. All enquiries to the details below or look at the fully illustrated catalogue online at richardedmondsauctions.com
The Alvis TD21 was made between 1958 and 1963. Our car was registered in 1959. The 2993cc vehicle was restored in the 90s with photographs available to support the work undertaken. 25,035 miles show.....