1950 Town & Country Newport = Woodie Clean Driver $34.9k For Sale
Located in the USA...
Town & Country Newport
324 Cubic Inch Inline Eight
Body Style: 2 Door
- Back in the 1940s it was thought that wood would be the medium for which cars would be made. These “Woodies” were an upscale production based automobile that were aimed at the more affluent buyers. The craftsmanship and woodwork would differentiate the standard vehicles from these “high class” vehicles of the day. Chrysler Corporation General Manager David Wallace envisioned a wood-bodied car with the same basic lines as contemporary Chrysler steel-bodied sedans yet with greater refinement, quality and elegance.
- The car on offer here is this lovely 1950 Chrysler Town and Country.
- This example has been well preserved in fine “driver” quality condition.
- It is clear that the car was restored some years ago, and the car remains in excellent running and driving condition.
- The exterior shows well and the car is a constant distraction, compelling people to wave, point, look and appreciate her enormous road presence.
- The painted surfaces show well with good luster and shine. All wood on the exterior is in fine shape with no evidence of cracking or peeling; clearly most of the wood original.
- The grain shows very well with deep varnish and its clear coating has a good sheen and depth. The interior wood also shows well and has clearly been well maintained. The interior shows a lovely patina.
- All gauges and instruments work as they should. The 323 cubic inch straight eight is a joy to drive; it pulls well, has good power and torque and starts easily. It still retains its original 6-volt electrical system.
- The original “fluid drive transmission”; a hybrid manual transmission with a fluid coupling.
- The “on the column” shifts very well and makes driving the car an enjoyable experience.
- The brakes have been recently sorted and work well; all systems work as they should.
- There are not many examples left of this classic “woody” on the market today, let alone at this price point.
- Enjoy it today as it needs nothing but an enthusiastic new owner.
All inspections welcome... We ship worldwide.
If you have questions please email us below...bnz
Shipping at your cost example...is about $1,500.. to the UK ports...
Thanks for looking...tom s.
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts