1928 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Park Ward Landaulette 47EH For Sale
SALE AGREED An impressive and imposing car with character, handsome and well-proportioned, in lovely condition with some appealing, vintage features. The car is very sound structurally, has generally good paintwork and a relatively recently re-upholstered interior in tan leather front and rear, including twin occasional seats. Attractive touches include horizontally and vertically divided ‘V’ screen, twin side-mounted spare wheels, bonnet and six wheel discs in polished aluminium, and a pair of ‘opera lamps'. Equipment also includes a set of correct, nickel lamps, including 'diver's helmet' rears and an impressive array of instruments mounted on a particularly attractive dashboard, all in lovely condition. Mechanically good too, with a nice engine, and running sweetly. Offered prepared, serviced and newly MoT tested.
Chassis No. 47EH Reg. No. YX 1145
Snippets: Gubbins & Fire Sprinklers
Capt. Lucius Burston Beresford Gubbins only owned 47EH for a year as he died in February 1929. During the 2nd Boer War (1899/1902) Capt. Lucius Gubbins served with the 13th Hussars, his younger brother Quintus served with the 15th Hussars and was killed in action on the 5th January 1899, aged just 19. The Gubbins are a long established Irish family with several notable members including Joseph Gubbins - a High Sheriff of Co. Limerick; John Gubbins (owner of Bruree Estate) established a successful stable - winners included Seaman (1882 Grand National), Galtee More (Two Thousand Guineas, St. Leger & Derby) Blairfinde (Irish Derby). Martin Gubbins served in India during the Indian Mutinee & published “Mutinies in Oudh”, he later became a Judge of the Supreme Court of Agra. In 1909 Capt Lucius Gubbins married Miss. Etta May Gibson of Waitangi, New Zealand, her grandfather Charles Gibson of Quernmore Park had died when her father, Edmund, was just 8 years old. The widowed Etta Gubbins was a keen collector of items which had been designed by William Morris including rugs, tiles & tapestries & in 1934 she lent several of them to the Victoria & Albert Museum for the William Morris Centenary Exhibition. The chassis cards show that in 1945 the recorded owner of 47EH was Lt. Cmdr Alexander William Stewart OBE – he had been awarded the OBE in 1940 for “gallantry & resource in making a forced descent rather than abandon his aircraft, when his observer’s parachute had fouled” thereby risking his life to save another. At that time Lt. Cmdr Stewart was attached to the RAF on HMS Ark Royal (aircraft carrier) and the aircraft concerned was a Fairey Swordfish which was later recovered. From 1961 to 1978 the PI is noted as being with Hugh Charles Jockel of Quebec, Canada – he also had a 1919 Silver Ghost in his garage. In 2007 Hugh Jockel was inducted into the Canadian Fire Sprinkler Hall of Fame in recognition of his contribution towards the work he did in 1964 in connection with the “Creation of Corporation of fire protection contractors of the Province of Quebec”.
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts