1980 Mini 1275GT - restored (please read description) For Sale
This car is one of the very last of the Austin Morris (Mini) Clubman era, its matching VIN/chassis tag number confirming its authenticity and registration date of 21st August 1980, the final week of 1275GT production. This car ran until 1992 and an indicated 57,964 miles before being acquired February 2015 by Parkway Motor Group in Nottinghamshire who restored over a 2 year period.
Plenty of time and money was clearly spent which you can track via the large file of bills and over 40 photographs. From sub-frames and doors all the way through to bearings, gaskets and seals - much of the car was replaced during this bare metal restoration. Major items include;
- Front and rear sub-frames, both doors and A panels, scuttle panel
- Full engine and clutch re-builds with all new internals ie: bearings, shafts, gaskets, seals
- HIF44 carb, Powerspark electronic distributor, Fletcher alloy radiator, Samco silicon hoses, oil/fuel/washer pumps
- Sportex manifold, RC40 pipe and rear box
- Spax performance handling kit, Yoko A539 tyres on Ultralites, 8.4” disc brakes/AP calipers, Goodridge braided hoses
- New chrome all round – bumpers, mirrors, wipers, door and boot handles
I have invoices for over 60 parts and with a little additional research I believe that over £4,500 was spent (exc paint and wax-oiling), and of course hundreds of hours labour.
I bought the car Oct 2017 and since then have covered @1,700 mostly dry summer miles (SORN’d and garaged for winter). Current mileage is 63,941, MOT’d until 20/05/2020.
Other features of this car include the PPG solarcool sunroof (not sure if it’s a factory, dealer-fit or aftermarket but it’s certainly period), opening rear ¼ lights and heated rear screen. The car has a JVC KD-R541 stereo with removable head, CD, USB/MP3/Ipod mode and Pioneer/Edge speakers in the rear shelf. Tyres have plenty of tread.
This is a solid car that looks fantastic and drives well. But it's not perfect and there are jobs to do if you want to make it so;
- boot floor was partly replaced but finish is sub-standard
- drivers side footwell is solid but untidy and could be replaced
- over-sills have been fitted during the rebuild - should be corrected
- no engine number - it's a more recent A series engine. So not original but it's quick.
- very slight snick on 3rd/2nd downshift when cold - goes after 5 mins when warm
- Speedo not working (but has worked - loose connection behind dash?)
- driver's window not working
- brakes need bleeding
- needs a service - running rich
There's two ways to look at this car. It's well on it's way to being a +£15k car and an enthusiast could easily make it so. Or a novice like me could be very happy with it as-is for years with a little TLC. It's priced accordingly.
I never planned to sell the car and will be sad to see it go. Please call to discuss and for more pics - I've tried to be completely honest but I'm not an expert. The car is near Bath and inspection welcomed.
Car is advertised elsewhere.
1994 Rover Mini 1275 Sprite in brilliant diamond white. This Stunning little car has covered 43,000 miles from new. It has had one lady owner for the first 20 years of its life who garaged and cherished.....
For Sale a genuine 1976 Mini 1275GT which has been family owned since new, this is a true 1970’s icon introduced in 1969 to replace Mini Cooper S. The car has always been garaged and has been SORNed.....
A true 70s icon the 1275 GT was first introduced to replace the Mini Cooper S in 1969 and featured the same bodyshell as the then new Clubman base model. This red LHD car from ’73 is a well-maintained.....