Volkswagen Golf Gti MK1 Series 1, 16838 mls, 1979 For Sale
Collectors/Investor/ Museum/ Heritage Fleet quality Car - this car isn’t so much ‘rare’ as a genuine one-off and unrepeatable opportunity, a genuine case of ‘find another’!
· The ‘famous’ ENT 847V
· Volkswagen Golf GTI Mark 1, Series 1, 4 speed
· Registered 01-09-1979
16838 miles from new
· 4 speed gearbox (very rare, only current for 3 months in late 1979 – only the 4 speed has the ‘full’ golf ball gear knob)
· Black (Schwarz L041) with silver & black tartan seats
· Total history and documents – Better than the car on display in the VW museum in Wolfsburg, I am safe to say there is no better, more original UK supplied Series 1 GTI in the world
· Only 2 previous registered owners (I am the third)
· June 2019 MOT (no advisories) & service
· Will be RFL and MOT exempt from January 2020
· A ‘TV Star’ car – having appeared on BBC‘s ‘The Cars The Star’ with Quentin Willson at the wheel, and ‘Clarkson’s Car years’ with Jeremy Clarkson. These videos are included in the car's extensive Google photos album - please contact me to request a link
· Numerous magazine article appearances also (original copies included in the sale)
· A BNIB limited edition Corgi Vanguards Classics 1:43 scale model of ENT 847V accompanies the car
· Highly original and superb condition (hard to over exaggerate)
· Totally correct and standard specification – no modifications
· Original 5.5j steel wheels (refurbished) and new Continental tyres in correct 175/ 70 size
· The car is accompanied by its original bill of sale and V5, all brochures, original VW publicity photos, MOTs, etc.
· The car appears to be in its original paint finish, and was sympathetically recommissioned by renowned MK1 experts, Crazy Quiffs of Wallingford, in Spring 2015. The underside of the car was fully refreshed and appears ‘as new – all rare Series 1 specific original parts were powder coated and reused as they are unique to the early MK1. Dampers, brake components/lines and fuel lines were replaced for safety. The engine was removed and received new valve stem seals and water pump, hose set etc. etc.
· I believe the car to be absolutely faultless, every single thing working perfectly
· This Golf is a total one-off. A perfect, museum quality, example of the very earliest 4 speed (only available for the first 3 months of RHD production in Summer 1979, a 5 speed gearbox was introduced by Xmas 1979) official RHD GTI and now incredibly rare. The car has only two previous owners and a fully documented 16,838 miles from new. ‘Famous’ from magazine and TV appearances, highly original and utterly irreplaceable, this is a true Condition 1+ car, suitable for a serious private collection, museum or Manufacturer’s Heritage Fleet or similar, or just to be enjoyed as a true classic and the ‘first’ of the breed.
· Sale includes superb fitted indoor stretch car cover with VW logo
· “The Golf GTI. The original and the best”
· To restore a Series 1 professionally to an excellent standard would probably cost upwards of £25k plus the cost of the car (£c.10k?) – and ‘original is only once’ so the resulting car wouldn’t be a patch on ENT.
· Quite literally unrepeatable and irreplaceable!
· I had a sale agreed recently, however the purchaser was unable to fund the purchase. So, please don’t enquire unless you are a very serious and funded purchaser, I really don’t want any offers to sell the car on my behalf or PX etc. please, or any silly scams. We are all too busy, aren’t we?
· Offers around £45,000 please
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts