One of only a very few original build open tourers to this design by Vanden Plas, and probably the most original of them
The 'Derby Bentley' is widely regarded as the most sophisticated car that money could buy in the 1930's
Once Rolls-Royce had purchased Bentley Motors they set about incorporating the ethos and fine quality together with the spirit of the original Bentley models, as epitomised by the famous Bentley Boys
Hence the extreme performance available (Bentley influence) whilst occupants were cocooned in absolute silence (Rolls-Royce influence)
Hence the aptly named 'Silent Sportscar'
A technical 'tour de force' in the 1930's the new 4.25 litre was specified with a six cylinder engine, a synchromesh four-speed gearbox, servo assisted braking and adjustable rear suspension
The smooth engine had a cross flow cylinder head with twin SU carburettors, a crankshaft damper and roller cam followers
No wonder so many notable figures, celebrities and racing drivers of the day owned them
This rather 'Derby' is not only one of the very few Cambell VdP versions it also has a remarkable history
The last long term family purchased her from Autocars in Halifax in Yorkshire in May 1951 - with some lovely correspondence at the time, and even the stock list from which this special car was chosen
Always driven in their local region of Perthshire and Angus and has been a familiar sight there for over 68 years
Originally when they bought her she was Silver and after a short while (early '50's) they repainted her in Green, as this probably a better colour for a Scottish farmer
Early memories are of journeys in all weathers and seasons complete with rugs and blankets, for the hood was seldom up!
Many holidays were undertaken to the Highlands and also she was taking the boys to school in Edinburgh and back, complete with large trunk in the boot
In more recent times she has taken the family to the North and West of Scotland, visiting a few Castles and some of the smaller golf clubs, from Kintyre to the islands of the Hebrides
All maintenance has been carried out on the farm, for they are quite skills and know her rather well
For instance the Perspex side screens have been hand made, as the originals do not afford as much wind deflection - of course the originals are in the boot in a blanket to keep them safe
Only the hood bag is used (always) whilst the full tonneau and hood are all operational, although never used
During their ownership she has been treated to 3 restorations, always keeping an eye on originality as much as possible
Hence when the last works of this type were completed, although the engine was removed, as was the body, everything was put back the way it was before
These most recent works were undertaken by Milford Engineering Ltd during 2011 / 2012 where just under £50.000 was spent to ensure that mechanically she was again, as good as she could be
All bills are with the paperwork together with 2 CD's covering the works undertaken
Previously in 1993 / 1994 Classic Restorations in Alyth completed an overhaul and prior to this in 1981 / 1982 David Scott Moncrieff in Leek undertook the necessary mechanical works in the same vein, whilst in 1996 a Taylor overdrive system was fitted
All bills and photographs are here with the paperwork too
One of the few, and probably the only one left in unmolested condition - far from Concours condition, she would likely win a preservation class anywhere, and with the style of body work she luckily possess, she would likely present any new owner with a free ticket to any of the Worlds Concours events
This beautifully presented Bentley MKVI Standard Saloon was supplied new on the 24th October 1949 by Jack Barclay Ltd, Hanover Square, London W1 to Eric Low Beer Esq of the Grade II Listed 1439 Medieval.....
S2 Type Saloon
Originally delivered to Switzerland
Car Delivered on 22.4.60 to RR Lillie Hall
Chassis Number B.425.LBR
Engine Number 212.BB
Body Number BT.0542
Radio 501 TA
This Bentley S3 #B124HN is a representative of the last generation of Bentleys with a separate chassis. The standard saloon coach with its twin head lamps and slightly lowered bonnet and grille is.....
In the fifties, when the motor cars were more and more built with monocoque constructions, the art of coachbuilding was disappearing. Freestone & Webb Ltd, who were specialised Rolls-Royce and Bentley.....