“On revient toujours à son premier amour” This quote from D.H. Lawrence comes immediately to my mind when welcoming this superb Alvis Speed 20 SC Tourer into my classic car garage.
Thirty years ago, when I started my classic car activity, many Alvis Speed models, be it Speed 20, Speed 25 or 4.3, sporty Tourers, elegant DHC models and Saloons from various coachbuilders passed through my hands and books.
Often classic car friends and customers asked me which prewar car I personally would prefer to own.
My answer always was : an Alvis Speed 20 Vanden Plas Tourer SC or SD.
Why? In my opinion Alvis constructed in the mid-30-ies the best British sportscar around. For its time very modern engineering, with independent front suspension, full synchromesh gearbox and a potent 2.8 liter six-cylinder engine fed by 3 SU carburettors developping nearly 90 HP.
The high quality Vanden Plas Tourer, with very pure, long and low coachlines is without discussion the best looking body on this Alvis Speed 20 chassis.
This Alvis Speed 20 SC VdP Tourer has it all:
- Right model and specification.
- Matching numbers for chassis, engine, gearbox, coachwork. Confirmed by Alvis Car Record.
- Very well documented continuous history with old log-book, V5, MOT, AOC records, etc…
- Maintained by thè Alvis specialists (Red Triangle, Tim Walker Restorations, even our name pops-up…).
- In excellent absolute top-notch condition. Mechanically & Cosmetically.
I am convinced, of course! Just let me convince you with a test-drive.
Alvis Speed 20 SA Open Tourer, year 1933. Chassis number 1018X, engine number 1063X, car number 1532X, Vanden Plas body number 198X. Colour two-tone blue combined with a red leather interior and a.....