A very handsome car, described by Hooper as a ‘Special Touring Saloon’. Finished in very dark green and black with beige leather and although slightly scruffy in some ways, the car presents well, particularly attractive being its louvred bonnet, rear-mounted spare wheel, quarter bumpers, etc, and a lovely set of 'bullseye' headlights with a Lucas PLG40 centre lamp. Running nicely after an engine overhaul a few years ago, and benefitting from a new cylinder head fitted at the same time. Not only that, but the car is fitted with overdrive, ideal for relaxed, long-distance cruising and a stainless steel exhaust system, all adding to its practicality and useability. Good looking, and driven with enthusiasm, covering 20,000 miles between 1999 and 2019 in the hands of the owner who bought it from us twenty years ago. The file of papers includes many invoices for work carried out by the last owner, old MoT certificates, copies of the original Hooper specification sheets, etc. Offered prepared and newly MoT tested.
Chassis No. GAU15 Reg. No. GY 7888
Snippets: Avro 504 Wooden Propellers & Vessel #534 Bronze Propellers
The first owner was Leonard Courtney who was involved with Courtney-Pope Ltd of Harringay (also spelt Haringey) in London. The company started life in 1908 as shop fitters but during WWI they produced aircraft parts such as wooden propellers for de Havilland, Avro 504 and the heavy bomber Vickers F.B.27A Vimy II. After 1918 the company returned to their peacetime occupation; Leonard Courtney registered GAU15 at his work’s address of 339 Seven Sisters Road, Tottenham – the history of the street’s name is derived from a clump of 7 elm trees (the 7 sisters) surrounding a walnut tree on Page Green, this unusual feature is shown on maps was early as 1619! Leonard Courtney kept GAU15 until just before the outbreak of WWII and it was sold via Jack Olding, a respected London car dealer, to Henry William Lee who registered the car at his business address of Oceanic House, Cockspur Street, London. Henry W. Lee was the Company Secretary & Managing Director of J. Stone & Co which was established in 1842 when the firm started life as engineers, brass & iron founders & metal workers with the partners being Josiah Stone, George Preston & John Prestige. By the 1940s the company had diversified into manufacturing super-heaters & electrical works for use on railway coaches; batteries & bronze propellers – used by the Royal Navy in WWII & for the mysterious Vessel #534 which was launched as RMS Queen Mary; the Stone-Lloyd automatic water-tight doors were used in RMS Queen Mary, RMS Queen Elizabeth & the Royal Yacht Britannia. It is ironic that Oceanic House was originally the London Headquarters for the White Star Line – what would the outcome have been if the Stone-Lloyd hydraulic doors been used in the Titanic? Henry W Lee died in 1944 aged just 65, he was still a Board Member of J. Stone & Co as Chairman of Super-heater Co Ltd & a Director of Chloride Electrical Storage Co Ltd, he had been with J. Stone & Co since the 1920s.
The first owner of this Rolls-Royce 20/25 HP with a body by Barker, became in 1934 Mr. G. Milne from Wiltshire. When in September 1950 were carried out necessary repairs of the engine and other parts,.....