After World War Two, Rover's chief engineer Maurice Wilks used an ex Military Willys Jeep around his farm in Anglesey and was impressed with its abilities, yet when the time came to replace the vehicle he struggled to find anything that would fit the bill. Coincidentally, his brother Spencer, who was Managing Director at Rover, had reached the same conclusion as he struggled to get his Rover 10 to reach the more inaccessible parts of his estate on Islay. It was whilst the brothers were on holiday on their North Wales farm together, that the plan was hatched to produce a light agricultural utility vehicle in the style of Maurice's, fondly-remembered Jeep. The vehicle appeared as the 'Land Rover' in 1948 and proved so popular with the military and the farming fraternity that demand massively outstripped supply, and the legend was born!
Our extremely rare ‘lights behind grille’ 80-inch model was first registered 01/08/1950 by Arnold G Wilson LTD in West Yorkshire. The car has had an extensive mechanical and body restoration including a new Galvanised chassis and as such is presented in beautiful condition with a large history file including a heritage document to substantiate its provenance.
A fantastic addition to any collection or used as intended! Please call the details below for further details.