1976 ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM VI BY MULLINER PARK WARD 6.3 LIMOUSINE For Sale
|This advert viewed 1452 times|
|Stock number ( 4843 ) |
This is a Phantom Rolls Royce VI 6230cc Limousine by Mulliner Park Ward in black masons over garnet with red hide piped black in front and dark red parker tex in rear the vehicle was supplied new in the UK in July 1976 and in was shipped to Japan in 1986 , The vehicle is UK Registered and will be Serviced and prepared before collection
Surely, there can be no other automobile in the world that lives up to a grand occasion as well as the Rolls-Royce Phantom VI. It embodies the best English tradition and aristocratic craftsmanship, while maintaining an air of understatement on any great occasion. Ostentatiousness and showmanship are foreign concepts to this automobile, indeed it has no need to strive for status and eminence. This Rolls-Royce is not simply an automobile, it is an institution on wheels. It is Great Britain.
50 years of Phantom VI.
The year of unrest in 1968 just happened to be the year that saw production of the Rolls-Royce Phantom VI commence. It followed the Phantom V, which had been built for almost ten years. While students were protesting and engaging in street battles with the, veteran craftsmen were stoically putting metal, leather and wood together to create a noble work of art. It was as though time had stood still. H.J. Mulliner & Co and Park Ward were formerly independent coachbuilders which Rolls-Royce had bought up and merged together. As many as 750 employees produced luxury and exclusive automobiles here.
One-off specials in series.
The Phantom VI is built on a rolling chassis, as was usual before the war. Although this increased the weight, it was absolutely perfect for styling individual bodies to meet the client’s aspirations, particularly given its very long wheelbase of 3660 millimetres. There was lots of room for luxury upholstery and leg room. Naturally, the minibar was an absolute must. Occasional seats in the floor even allowed guests to come along as well.
A new Phantom VI was always built to the client’s specifications, individual preferences and aspirations were the central focus. Colour schemes, materials and leather as well as detailed solutions could be tailored to individual requirements. Delivery times from one to two years were normal. This means that no two Phantom VI automobiles are the same, and each one you come across today always tells a story about the first owner.
Service in the background – engine and drivetrain.
The Silver Shadow was also fitted with the V8 engine with 6.2 litre capacity. It generated “sufficient” power for all situations. You could not hear it anyway, either inside or outside. An automatic transmission provided smooth-running comfort. In 1978, the capacity was expanded to 6.75 litres. The Phantom VI is a classic chauffeur-driven limousine because it is primarily intended to convey prestige. Gliding along with a dignified air is probably the best description, excessive speed would be quite inappropriate.
The Phantom VI was built until 1991, just 374 motor cars came into existence. When the production run came to an end, Mulliner Park Ward closed its doors for the last time. An era came to an end, a great chapter in engineering history. Automobiles as an expression of perfect craftsmanship.
Fundamentally an updated Phantom V, the Phantom VI had a restyled dashboard and was powered by an engine derived from the current Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow. Most of the coachwork was created by Mulliner Park Ward, usually in limousine form, though a few landaulettes were made.
The Phantom VI was the last Rolls-Royce with a separate chassis. It featured coil springs in front, leaf springs and live axle in rear, and drum brakes on all four wheels. The car was powered by a 6,230 cc (380 cu in) 90 degree V8 with a bore of 104 mm (4.1 in) and stroke of 91.5 mm (3.60 in) with twin SU carburettors, coupled to a 4-speed automatic gearbox. In a 1979 upgrade the engine capacity was increased to 6,750 cc (412 cu in), a 3-speed automatic gearbox with torque converter was substituted, and separate front and rear air conditioning units were provided. Inclusion of the engine from the Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit in 1982 increased engine displacement once more, to 6,750 cc. In 1990 the last Rolls-Royce Phantom VI chassis were built, however as the completion of the coachwork by Mulliner Park Ward took around 18 months the last cars were made in the period of the next two years. The very last Rolls-Royce Phantom VI, a landaulette, was completed and delivered to the customer in summer of 1992.
A total of 374 Phantom VIs were made. Unlike the Phantom V, they were never sold in the United States, due to United States Environmental Protection Agency and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration design legislation.
Design of a Phantom VII based on the Silver Shadow's body was discussed in the 1970s, but plans were scrapped. No prototypes were built. A production Rolls-Royce Phantom VII was rolled out in 2003.
Within the fleet of cars used by Queen Elizabeth II and her family in the United Kingdom are two Rolls-Royce Phantom VIs: the Silver Jubilee Car (presented by the British motor industry to celebrate her 25th anniversary on the throne in 1977), and a more conventional 1986 model. These two cars were the official state cars until the introduction of the two Bentley State Limousines in 2002. Like all British state cars, the Phantom VIs have a special mount for a Royal Standard and coat of arms. When in use by the Queen, the Spirit of Ecstasy is replaced by a custom-made solid silver model of St George slaying the dragon and the car carries no registration plates. In Australia, the monarch, her family, and the Governor-General of Australia use a Rolls-Royce Phantom VI dating to 1970. It is typically used only rarely, such as for the state opening of parliament or the swearing-in of a new governor-general.
|Get notified about new similar ads
The Rolls-Royce Phantom III has an extremely smooth and silent V-12 engine. Phantom III #3CM1 with its substantial Sedanca de Ville body by Windovers is a well representing, striking and classic Rolls-Royce......
1928 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 Limousine
..Right Hand Drive
..All Aluminum w/
..Polished Silver Trim
..New Motor Rebuild
..New 2-Tone Gray.....
Light Grey with Black hood and Maroon hide upholstery. Very high quality coachwork with a very elegant design. Experimental car with interesting history and one of the very first Phantom Is produced......
LHD and to the PV22 design.
Black over Brewster Green with Black hide to front and Beige West of England cloth to rear. Considered the finest coachwork on a post-war Rolls-Royce. In excellent condition.....
Pillarless Saloon by Henry Binder of Paris.
Dark Blue with Ivory sides and Dark Blue hide upholstery. Rare and attractive with extensive history and in excellent condition.
1967- This James Young bodied Phantom V was ordered new in 1966 by Nigel Broaches of Trafalgar House LTD based in Mayfair, London. Already well appointed the only extras specified were an automatic.....
1937 Rolls Royce Phantom 3 Barker Swept Back Saloon.
Chassis number: 3BT143
Registration number: ELF351
A magnificent & imposing Rolls Royce Phantom 3. This car is in lovely order.....
Rolls Royce Phantom I 1927
This fantastic example of a Brougham-de-Ville, Coach work by Wilkinson of Derby.
Supplied new to Sir Arthur Young Baronet of Dumbartonshire this car was displayed at the.....
This Rolls-Royce Phantom II Sports Saloon by James Young was sold on March 1, 1934 to its first owner: Mr. A.C. Wall Esq, a (then) well known industrialist. The automobile is a fine.....
Dark Grey with Light Grey hide to front and Beige West of England cloth to rear. Exhibited at 1938 Earls Court Motor Show. Very good condition.