The Alvis Fourteen also known as TA 14 was the first car to be produced by major defence contractor Alvis Cars after World War II. Announced in November 1946, it was made until 1950.
The TA14 was available as a four-door sports saloon built for Alvis by Mulliners of Birmingham and in a drophead version built by either Tickford or Carbodies. When compared with the 12/70 it replaced, the interior is 4 inches (10.1 cm) wider and the distance between rear-seat armrests is increased almost 5 inches (12.7cm).
The 1892 cc engine is a slightly larger-bore version of the one used in the 12/70 and produced 65 bhp. It was fitted with a single SU type H4 -inch side-draught carburetor.
The bodies were mounted on an updated pre-war Alvis 12/70 chassis that was widened and lengthened but retained the rigid-axle leaf spring suspension. Hypoid bevel final drive was fitted for the first time and greatly reduced the height of the transmission tunnel. Steering is by Marles with a spring spoked steering wheel. Mechanically-operated brakes are two-leading-shoe type by Girling. Disc wheels replaced the 12/70's wire wheels and were fitted with larger tyres.
The top speed was around 74 mph (119 km/h) and acceleration from 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 22.2 seconds.
KGF 85 is a Carbodies coachwork and has had more than £20,000 spent with marque specialists maintaining to the condition it is being offered today. Included in this maintenance program were upgrades - stainless steel fuel tank, Kenlow fan, halogen lighting, Sat Nav connector and heater system.
An extensive history file comes with the vehicle, listing most its owners, we believe to be seven. In the current owner’s possession for nearly five years and the previous owner for over twenty-seven years.
Mechanically on the button and in exceptional condition throughout.
Whilst exempt from having a MOT the car will have passed a MOT (albeit in ‘test’ mode) prior to being sold.