1939 Rolls-Royce Wraith H. J. Mulliner Limousine WXA100 For Sale
An attractive, sound and very smart Wraith, nicely balanced in design, looking good from all angles. The engine was removed for attention in recent times, taken apart and cleaned prior to work starting, at which point the owner was unfortunately taken ill, and work stopped as a result. We are offering the car as a project with lots of potential, now needing the already dismantled and assessed engine overhauling as necessary. As far as we can tell, the parts are all present, although we cannot guarantee that every last nut & bolt is there! Alternatively, the car could be fitted with a suitable replacement engine, the obvious one coming to mind being a Rolls-Royce B60, which should be relatively easily obtainable at a reasonable price. The coachwork is sound, handsome in design with a lovely swept tail, swivelling rear quarter lights with sliding purdah glass, slim pillars and large glass area, which - together with the Plexiglass 'moon roof' in the rear - give the car a very pleasant, light and airy interior. Cosmetically appealing, with good paintwork, lovely chrome plating, the interior (black leather front, beige cloth rear) is in nice order, although the wood trim could do with attention, and the whole car, aside from the engine, is good all round. A rare opportunity, with many potential upsides, including financial ones!
Chassis No. WXA100 Reg. No. GVK719
Snippets: The Engineer’s Sister.
The first owner of WXA100 was a Miss Jeannie Laing (1858/1958) who it would seem had a fondness for motorcars having owned several Rolls-Royce and Bentleys including a PIII, 20/25 and a 4 ¼. Jeannie was a sister of Andrew Laing (1856/1931) a well respected marine engineer who was noted for his patents involving steam propelling machinery for the Atlantic liners with the best known of his vessels being RMS Carpathia (involved in rescuing survivors of Titantic) and HMS Mauretania (holder of the Atlantic Blue Riband for Speed 1909/29). Miss Jeannie and her younger sister Catherine lived with their brother at Osborne Road, Newcastle upon Tyne for their entire lives with neither of the siblings marrying. There was another famous Laing family of Newcastle this being Alexander Laing (1828/1905) wine & spirit merchant who in order to mark 50 years of business donated £30,000 (approx £4m) to construct an art gallery - opened in 1904 by Viscount Ridley.
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts