The Benz Patent-Motorwagen (or motorcar), built in 1886, is widely regarded as the world's first automobile. The original cost of the vehicle in 1885 was $1,000 (equivalent to $26,337 in 2016). This is an exact replica of the original painstakingly constructed with reference to the original plans. The quality is superb & the car easy to drive. It is brand new condition having just covered some bedding in miles.
The original vehicle was awarded the German patent, number 37435, for which Karl Benz applied on January 29, 1886. Following official procedures, the date of the application became the patent date for the invention once the patent was granted, which occurred in November of that year.
Although Benz's wife, Bertha, financed the development process, and would hold patent rights under modern law, as a married woman she was not allowed to apply for the patent.
Benz officially unveiled his invention to the public on July 3, 1886, on the Ringstrasse (Ringstraße) in Mannheim.
About 25 Patent Motorwagens were built between 1886 and 1893.
The Benz Patent-Motorwagen was a three-wheeled automobile with a rear-mounted engine. The vehicle contained many new inventions. It was constructed of steel tubing with woodwork panels. The steel-spoked wheels and solid rubber tires were Benz's own design. Steering was by way of a toothed rack that pivoted the un-sprung front wheel. Fully elliptic springs were used at the back along with a live axle and chain drive on both sides. A simple belt system served as a single-speed transmission, varying torque between an open disc and drive disc.
The first Motorwagen used the Benz 954 cc single-cylinder four-stroke engine
with trembler coil ignition. This new engine produced 2⁄3 horsepower (0.50 kW) at 250rpm in the Patent-Motorwagen, although later tests by the University of Mannheim showed it to be capable of .9 hp (0.67 kW) at 400 rpm. It was an extremely light engine for the time, weighing about 100 kg (220 lb). Although its open crankcase and drip oiling system would be alien to a modern mechanic, its use of a pushrod- operated poppet valve for exhaust would be quite familiar. A large horizontal flywheel stabilized the single-cylinder engine's power output. An evaporative carburettor was controlled by a sleeve valve to regulate power and engine speed. The first model of the Motorwagen had not been built with a carburettor, rather a basin of fuel soaked fibres that supplied fuel to the cylinder by evaporation. Benz
later made more models of the Motorwagen, model number 2 boasting 1.5 hp (1.1 kW), and model number 3 with 2 hp (1.5 kW), allowing the vehicle to reach a maximum speed of approximately 10 mph (16 km/h). The chassis was improved in 1887 with the introduction of wooden-spoke wheels, a fuel tank, and a manual leather shoe brake on the rear wheels.
Historic drive of Bertha Benz
The Benz Patent-Motorwagen Nr. 3 of 1888, used by Bertha Benz for the first long
distance journey by automobile (more than 96 km or sixty miles)
Bertha Benz, married to Karl, chose to publicize the Patent-Motorwagen in a unique manner: She took the Patent-Motorwagen No. 3, supposedly without her husband's knowledge, and drove it on the first long-distance automobile road trip to demonstrate its feasibility as a means to travel long distances. That trip occurred in early August 1888, as the entrepreneurial lady took her sons Eugen and Richard, fifteen and fourteen years old, respectively, on a ride from Mannheim through Heidelberg, and Wiesloch (where she took on ligroin as a fuel at the city pharmacy, making it the first filling station in history), to her maternal hometown of Pforzheim.
As well as being the driver, Benz acted as mechanic on the drive, cleaning the carburettor with her hat pin and using a garter to insulate a wire. She refuelled at the local pharmacy in Wiesloch and as the brakes wore down, Benz asked a local shoemaker to nail leather on the brake blocks, in doing so, inventing brake lining on the way. After sending a telegram to her husband of the arrival in Pforzheim, she spent the night at her mother's house and returned home three days later. The trip covered 194 km (121 mi) in total.
In Germany, a parade of antique automobiles celebrates this historic trip of Bertha Benz every two years. In 2008, the Bertha Benz Memorial Route was officially approved as a route of industrial heritage of mankind, because it follows Bertha Benz's tracks of the world's first long-distance journey by automobile in 1888. Now everybody can follow the 194 km (121 mi) of signposted route from Mannheim via Heidelberg to Pforzheim (Black Forest) and back.
A high-resolution pictures gallery may be viewed on our website at - details above
Office the details below
Richard Biddulph the details below
Paul Fox the details below
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
This trailer is specially designed for very low sports-cars
Price: on request
- Aluminum chassis
- Electric winch
- Spotlights inside
- Special ‘roof’-openings for Lamborghini’s with wing doors
- Electric loading ramp
- Special storage space
IF YOU DO NOT GET AN AWNSER BY EMAIL PLEASE .....
Very rare OTAV 5,5 hp, bodied by Castagna, one cylinder, two spark plugs, two belt drive on the back wheel, original gearbox, air cooled engine, English rare plate, running conditions, full of history and documents (books, magazines, pictures, papers from VCC of England, etc), one of only two surviving .....
Built 1995 from 1988 XR2 donor, standard build in Blue (painted)
Complete, and properly registered as Quantum, but not been on the road since 2000, so in need of restoration. Hood ok but rear window plastic UV degraded. Located in Guildford.
pics to follow, will need trailering .....
1952 Henry J which would make for the perfect patina'd gasser/race car
Shove in a big block. 9" axle and a straight tube to go racing for pinks!
The body is relatively straight with some minor rust issues to the gutters and floor and sports a few dents here and there, just as a racer should look. .....
A beautiful and rare Lasalle 340 coupe from 1930 with nice features such as the Dickey seat and the optional heater system, this coupe model is hard to find nowadays and is a exclusive classic car. It runs and drives very good and has Belgian documents at this moment, before that it came from Sweden.
1928 Peerless 4DR Sedan
..Professional Ground up Restoration
..Won 1st at National AACA in Hershey, PA 1986
..Chocolate Brown Paint
..Black Fenders & Top
..Rarest of the 3 P's /
..Peerless, Packard & Pierce Arrow
..Excellent Running Car
..Excellent Driving Car
..Built by Peerless Motor Company
In our June 8th Auction 2017 Ledbury UK
The current vendor has spent many years researching the marque, and has assembled a good collection of original parts, to be fitted to this 1925 chassis. The chassis itself has been professional straightened and refurbished and has had four new road springs .....
The Solectria Force is an electric car built on a base model Geo Metro (Suzuki Swift). The company built around 400 of these vehicles, buying them in without drivetrain. There is a single speed transmission connected to a 156 volt 3-phase motor. This particular car was bought for a customer from a university .....