1954 Bentley R Type Drophead Coupe by Park Ward For Sale
Bentley Motors made a complete departure from their former policy by announcing in 1946 an entirely new model which was factory built throughout. The Bentley Mk VI fitted with their design of standard all steel bodywork was built at Crewe and began life with a 4.25 litre engine. It was later up-rated to a 4.5 litre engine and the basic Mk VI shape was adapted slightly in 1952 with the introduction of the Bentley R Type. The new model was almost identical to the Mk VI up to the rear doors; however the boot was enlarged giving greater luggage capacity and arguably a more attractive and balanced overall profile. Approximately two thousand standard steel R Types were produced between 1952 and 1955 with a further three hundred or so cars fitted with various styles of coachbuilt bodies when requested. Chassis No B346SR which we are currently offering for sale was completed in March of 1954, fitted with a drophead coupe body by Park Ward, built to the order of the original owner Lt Colonel Gordon Bryson Kynoch who resided in north east Scotland. It was constructed to Park Ward design number 99 and is one of just eighteen cars completed in this style in right hand drive on the R Type chassis, a further seven cars were produced in left hand drive. Following Lt Colonel Kynochs ownership B346SR found its way to the United States, living in recent times in the New York area. The car has benefited from a number of improvements in recent years including a re-trim in grey leather piped blue, a new mohair hood in dark blue, woodwork restoration, chrome restoration in places, attention to the coachwork and various mechanical items. This very elegant and rare design by Park Ward which is also complete with its original handbook and tools is now beautiful in both appearance and to drive.
FOR MORE PHOTOS AND INFORMATION PLEASE GO TO - details above