The BMW 700 is a small rear-engined car which was produced by BMW in various models from August 1959 to November 1965. The coupe and saloon versions of the 700 were shown at the 1959 Frankfurt Motor Show. After the show, BMW received 25,000 orders for 700s. Production of the BMW 700 Coupe began in August 1959, with the saloon version following in December. The first variant of the 700 to appear after the original coupe and saloon was the 700 Sport in August 1960. Available only as a coupe, the Sport used an uprated engine with a pair of Solex carburetors and a 9.0:1 compression ratio. This brought the power output to 40 horsepower (30 kW). The Sport also had a rear anti-roll bar. A ribbed oil pan was used to reduce the oil temperature of the more powerful engine. The 700 Sport was renamed the 700 CS in 1963.
The 700S Cabriolet was introduced shortly after the 700 Sport, and was available only with the Sport's 40 horsepower engine. The convertible body was made by Karosserie Baur of Stuttgart, 2,592 convertibles were built. It was the first BMW automobile with a monocoque structure. The 700 was a sales success at a time when BMW was close to financial ruin. The 700 was also successful in its class in motorsport, both in its stock form and as the basis of a racing special called the 700RS.
This Baur cabriolet was formerly in the showroom of a German dealership, when purchased by the owner. It has had professional work carried out to the double skinned floor which are prone to rust, and today can be described in being good original condition, with everything working apart from the clock. The original interior is especially appealing in two tone cream and red. It has the high compression twin carburettor two cylinder engine which propels the car to a 84 mph driven through a four speed transmission.
A very good original example of a rare variant of BMW cabriolet. The body work is good, the floors have been professionally replaced retaining the double skin design by Baur. The interior is original, the hood and tonneau are in good condition, the original mats are in place, an area of carpet needs replacing. The engine again is good condition, being engineer owner maintained. In addition recent work has been carried out to upgrade the drive shafts to CV's from the original BMW rubber doughnuts.
For further information please visit our website for more pictures, or call us directly on the details below
This beautifully restored matching numbers BMW Isetta was first registered on the 11th February 1960 and supplied by Smiths Garage in Bournville to a Mr D Rickman in Solihull. It was built by Isetta.....
For a long time now we have been struggling to supply E28 M5s to an ever growing list of customers keen to get their hands on BMWs ultimate super saloon. With only 187 European right hand drive examples.....