1988 Porsche 959 KOMFORT = Rare 1 of 255 Correct Serviced For Sale
Located in the USA...
1988 Porsche 959
Best offer OB... USD - Asking Price
- Rare a total of 255 standard Komfort models were actually completed.
- This is the Word Famous, Ex-Otto Glöckler 959!
- Carefully conserved, preserved and fastidiously maintained original 959 Komfort.
- Complete with all original delivery items, history and records from new!
- All services current and up to date.
-Word Famous, Ex-Otto Glöckler 959
-Ultra-rare, special order, special wish example
-Unique one of one configuration
-Two owners from new
-Complete records, receipts and documentation from new
-Complete original books, tools, safety equipment and spares packaging
-25,507 original kilometers from new (15,849 miles)
-Perfect mechanicals and cosmetics
-All services and safety checks current and up to date
Exterior Color Grand Prix White (Code P5)
Interior Color Special Order Leather to Sample (Dark Blue Code 99)
Carpeting Special Order to Sample (Dark Blue Code 99)
Ordering Dealer Porsche Factory Direct Client Delivery (“WERKSAUSLEIFERUNG”)
Completed May 4th, 1988
First Registered May 5th, 1988
Delivered May 6th, 1988
Mileage 25,570 Kilometers (15,849 Miles)
-Special Order Options Exclusive Client Request “WERKSAUSLEIFERUNG"
-Interior Color Special Order Leather to Sample (Dark Blue Code 99)
-Carpeting Special Order to Sample (Dark Blue Code 99)
-Sport Seats Left and Right with Electric Heat and Height Adjustment
-Seats Special Order Solid Color
-Special Bridgestone Tires
-Vehicle to Domestic German Road-Rule Specifications
-Factory Direct Delivery with Road Registration
Porsche 959 Background:
- A stunning expression of Porsche’s technical prowess and unwavering commitment to victory, the 959 continues to electrify sports-car enthusiasts even today, 30 years after production commenced. Conceived following the 1980 installation of Peter Schutz, who as Porsche company president favored intensive development of the 911, the 959 was rooted in the all-wheel-drive 911 concept debuted at the 1981 Frankfurt Motor Show. This was followed by the twin-turbo Gruppe B of 1983, inspired by the short-lived FIA rally class. Introduced to great anticipation at the 1985 Frankfurt Motor Show, the 959 was built upon a highly modified galvanized body shell derived from the 930, but radically updated. Lightweight composite body panels included the first production use of DuPont Kevlar, plus aluminum for the doors and front lid, and a polyurethane nose cap.
- Almost relentless wind-tunnel testing yielded zero lift, high downforce, and optimal cooling airflow. Underpinnings featured three ride-height positions and shock-damping settings, microprocessor-controlled ABS brakes with ventilated, cross-drilled discs, and run-flat tires. The 2,849 cc flat-six featured water-cooled cylinder heads, twin sequential turbochargers, and intercooling to deliver 450bhp. Power was transmitted through electronically controlled all-wheel drive. Top speed was just over 200mph, with acceleration from rest to 60 mph achieved in just 3.6 seconds. Exact production numbers are a bit elusive but Ian Kuah published the following in Excellence Magazine based on direct Factory production quotes:
1985 16 Preproduction prototypes
21 Preproduction models
1987 106 Komfort models
7 Sport models
1988 149 Komfort models
29 Komfort models partially converted to Sport models for the USA market
1992 8 Komfort model poduction recommenced using spare parts
From the above tables, in all variations and forms it would appear that a total of 336 examples were built. Porsche however further confused the situation by stating repeatedly that a total of 339 examples were built. It is likely that some of the preproduction prototypes and preproduction models were rebuilt as production examples. Further confusing the situation, Porsche’s states that 242 Komfort models were completed, for the official production model years 1987 and 1988, it appears however that a total of 255 standard Komfort models were actually completed if the above figures are to be believed.
Initial orders were processed with a purchase price of just over $300,000. The actual selling price was meaningless to Porsche as it was rumored at the time that actual build cost was probably double that figure with sales sales being exclusively geared towards highly favored and loyal clients as well as a variety of notable celebrities and motor industry and motor sport key figures. More recently after Porsche Client Services began a new program of service, restoration and upgrades for 959 owners, they stated privately, that actual build cost divided by the number of completed examples translates to an individual build cost of each 959 at more than $750,000. Those fortunate enough to buy one new at the original invoiced price likely had no idea of what a bargain they were actually getting.
This vehicle is one of Porsche’s legendary 959 “Komfort” models. Just 336 examples were completed during a very short production run. This particular example is the very well known Ex-Otto Glöckler 959 that he special ordered new for his Frankfurt, German Porsche Agency for his own personal use in November of 1987. The vehicle was completed on May 4th of 1988 and officially invoiced to him new two days later on May 6th. Glöckler requested his new 959 be completed with the standard exterior paint code “Grand Prix White but when it came to the interior, rather than going with one of the choices Porsche offered, he chose to have a custom interior done in an all “Dark Blue” leather that matched his favorite suit. For additional options he chose a combination of seven different features, six of which all had to do with the seats. Both left and right seats were the optional Sport Seats that were further fitted with electric heaters and with supplemental electrical motors to raise and lower them for better comfort.
- The final chosen option was Bridgestone all weather Sport Tires. This was a normal domestic or German market example and part of Glöckler's “Special Wish/Special Request option package on this 959 was direct Factory delivery and test-driving instruction and assistance, known as “WERKSAUSLEFERUNG."
Glöckler enjoyed and carefully cared and preserved his treasured 959 over the next several years until agreeing to a sale with Porsche collector Jürgen Oppermann. Oppermann re-regisgtered the car in his name and then later moved to Lugano, Switzerland. In doing so, he was legally able to bring his 959 with him making it one of just a very few that was formally imported to Switzerland in period.
- This Porsche remained with Oppermann when he again moved, this time to Gstaad. Opperman continued to care and enjoy his 959 over the next two decades completing extensive maintenance and services as required, the last of which was completed on December 4th, 2014 at the official Porsche Service Center in Staad. Upon completion of this work, he stored the 959 for a short period of time before agreeing to the sale to a UK based dealer who recently imported the car to the States where it was formally re-registered and titled for the first time outside of Europe.
- This Porsche 959 has had just two long-term caretakers and is completely void of rust or accident damage of any kind.
- This all matching numbers, 959 has covered just 25,570 kilometers since new and it has covered just 112 kilometers since the last major servicing.
- This Porsche will be sold complete with all of the original delivery items including the original Porsche build records, certificate of authenticity, books, tools and receipts going back to new.
- We are happy to assist with shipping, nationally and internationally.
- Please email me if I can assist further with inspections, evaluation, test-drives and a potential purchase of this automobile.
Please email us below for additional assistance with the purchase of this vehicle.
Inspections welcome...please email us for more pics.
Please mention the vehicle you are inquiring about so we can respond promptly.
= Inspections are encouraged before any purchase, of any vehicle, anywhere.
Can be exported at your cost or about $1,500 dollars to the UK port in 4 weeks...bn
- Serious collectors please...more pics coming and on request...
Thanks for looking
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts