The Fordson E1A Major was launched in 1951 at the Smithfield Royal Show. It was designed in 1944, to replace the out-dated E27N model, which had been in production since the 1920s.
This new tractor was in the 40 hp range, with a totally new 3,604 cc engine, six forward and twin reverse gear, actuated by a single plate clutch, fitted with spur gear final drive and an optional side mounted pulley belt.
Here is an early example of the model, having its original rear mudguards, but no transmission brake. A current V5C protects the registration number.