The Alvis Three Litre TD21 made by Alvis cars between the end of 1958 and October 1963. It was a revised version of the TC 108G, the body was made by Park Ward.
The 2993 cc engine was again uprated, now producing 115 bhp (86 kW) mainly by an improved cylinder head and increasing the compression ratio from 8.0:1 to 8.5:1. A new four speed gearbox from the Austin-Healey appeared and Borg Warner three speed automatic transmission was offered. Overdrive was available on the manual transmission from late 1960 to 1962. Suspension was similar to the TC 21, independent at the front using coil springs with leaf springs at the rear but the track was increased by 1 in (25 mm) to 55.5 in (1,410 mm) and a front anti roll bar added. Wire wheels became an option.
A car with manual transmission was tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1960 and had a top speed of 103 mph (166 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 13.5 seconds. A fuel consumption of 20.2 miles per imperial gallon (14.0 L/100 km; 16.8 mpg US) was recorded. The test car cost £2827 including taxes.
In April 1962, the car was upgraded with four wheel Dunlop disc brakes in place of the disc/drum combination and named Series II. Door frames were now constructed of aluminium for lightness as well as being panelled in aluminium to alleviate persistent problems with the Park Ward body's wooden door pillar.
The previously stand-alone fog lamps were built into the front of the car, recessed in the middle of new circular air intakes, one for the heater, the other for the carburettors. The rear number plate and the various lamps and reversing lights were re-arranged.
This vehicle, an automatic series II, was delivered to Francis Motors of Leicester on the 12th December 1962 with registration 8192 RW and chassis and engine number 26767.
Although registered in December 1962 it was built in February of that year and used as a works demonstration car. There is document proof that this was the vehicle road tested in august 1962 by Autocar. The test covered 1,690 miles, returned an average of 18.5 m.p.g. and used 2 pints of oil.
It is now in good condition but could be further improved to make a very nice investment.
The Alvis TD21 was made between 1958 and 1963. Our car was registered in 1959. The 2993cc vehicle was restored in the 90s with photographs available to support the work undertaken. 25,035 miles show.....
This is a wonderful example of the 1961 Alvis TD21 Series 1, RHD with the desirable manual gearbox. Finished in Maroon with red interior, carpets and tudor webasto sunroof.
With a 3 litre, straight.....