1966 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda = Convertible Manual $49.9k For Sale
Located in the USA...1966 Mercedes Benz 280SL Pagoda = Convertible
4 speed manual transmission
Convertible with removable hard top
3rd seat, removable hard top, driving lights, Seat Belts, Alarm System, On-board battery charger with battery cut-off, Convertible, Leather Seats
Cream color with red interior
6 cylinder, 2778 cc engine
- This is the iconic Mercedes “Pagoda” W113 in excellent, original condition*.
- It has a factory installed side facing rear seat, which they only made 600.
- It is Cream with original red interior, and a huge head turner.
- Has a Complete inspection report available from Colorado’s premier Mercedes mechanic, who said in his lifetime career has only seen one other 3-seater.
- This car has been owned by the same family/friend for 30+ years and has rarely been driven.
- Always garaged, never driven in wet conditions. Original woodwork, mirrors, leather, carpeting, gauges, clock, Becker radio, and lenses!
- Includes an original parts manual. Even has the driving lights option.
- Has both tops, the soft top appears to be original, the rear window is clear, it does have a couple of small patches.
- The body is completely clean, a few minor dings in the chrome, original lenses. Starts easily, runs well, 4 speed manual transmission, clutch is new and shifts smoothly. Handles as it should.
- Brakes are good.
- Good tires. Lots of photos available.
- Valued by Haggerty at asking price. This is a true collector’s edition and not to be missed!
* Non-original items;
Body repainted in original color by Mercedes certified shop (hard top was not repainted)
Engine has been upgraded to a 2.8ltr fuel injected engine, will burn 98 octane (racing fuel), it is really fast!
High end alarm system added
On board battery charger and battery cutoff added
Stereo speakers added
Exhaust headers (just replaced) and resonator (repro)
Front floor mats
Turn signal/wiper lever (excellent reproduction)
Seat belts added
Specs and History
The Mercedes-Benz W 113 is a two-seat roadster/coupé, introduced at the 1963 Geneva Motor Show, and produced from 1963 through 1971. It replaced both the legendary 300 SL (W 198) and the 190 SL (W 121 BII). Of the 48,912 W 113 SLs produced, 19,440 were sold in the US.
The W 113 SL was developed under the auspices of Mercedes-Benz Technical Director Fritz Nallinger, Chief Engineer Rudolf Uhlenhaut and Head of Styling Friedrich Geiger. The lead designers were Paul Bracq and Béla Barényi, who created its distinctive, patented, slightly concave hardtop, which inspired the "Pagoda" nickname.
All models were equipped with an inline-six cylinder engine with multi-port fuel injection. The bonnet, trunk lid, door skins and tonneau cover were made of aluminum to reduce weight. The comparatively short and wide chassis, combined with an excellent suspension, powerful brakes and radial tires gave the W 113 superb handling for its time. The styling of the front, with its characteristic upright Bosch "fishbowl" headlights and simple chrome grille, dominated by the large three-pointed star in the nose panel, paid homage to the then already legendary 300 SL roadster.
W 113 SLs were typically configured as a "Coupe/Roadster" with a soft-top and an optional removable hardtop. A 2+2 was introduced with the 250 SL "California Coupe," which had a fold-down rear bench seat instead of the soft-top.
Noteworthy people who own(ed) a Pagoda; (from Wiki)
David Coulthard owns a midnight blue (904G) 1971 280 SL
John Lennon owned a dark blue (332G) 1965 230 SL, which was for sale for $495,000 in 2011
John Travolta owns a Havana brown (408G) 1970 280 SL, which was stolen in September 2011[27Kate Moss owns a metallic blue (387H) 280 SL
The Engine compartment has been kept up and looks great. Both tops are in great condition.
- This is a lovely 280SL that has not been abused or neglected.
Mileage : 42k
Engine : 6 Cylinder Engine
Transmission : Automatic
Ext. Color : Magnolia
Int. Color : Red
- Runs and drives excellent.
- Complete photos will be available soon.
** SHOWN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY **
Inspections welcome...please email us for more pics.
Please mention the vehicle you are inquiring about so we can respond promptly.
= Inspections are encouraged before any purchase, of any vehicle, anywhere.
Can be exported at your cost or about $1,500 dollars to the UK port in 4 weeks...
- Serious collectors please...more pics coming and on request...
Thanks for looking
This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts