Cadillac Touring 1915 close to Concure For SaleThe Cadillac Type 51 is a large, luxurious automobile that was introduced in September 1914 by Cadillac as their 1915 model, and it was Cadillac's first V8 automobile, replacing the four-cylinder Model 30. The similar Types 53, 55, 57, 59, and 61 lasted through until 1923, when the design was substantially updated as the Type V-63. The GM 'A' platform was used for the entire series. All of these models used a new L-head V8 engine, one of the first V8 engines ever mass-produced and a significant selling point for the marque, and the bodies were built by Fisher. The Type 51 was also the first left-hand drive Cadillac-all previous models had been right-hand drive, but this was continued as an option. Wheelbases varied in those years, with 122 in (3099 mm) at the low end and 145 in (3683 mm) as the longest. This stately Type 51 was imported from Massachusetts, USA to Denmark in 1990 by Vilket Graae Jørgensen, Holte. For a number of years, the car stood on a farm in the middle of Jutland until it was purchased by an enthusiast, who was building up a collection of early cars. He immediately decided to fully restore the Cadillac and the work was entrusted to Sten Laursen, Højbjerg (by Rødkjærsbro) and all in all, the restoration took five years. despite its antiquity, the car was in reasonable condition in terms of the bodywork with all parts intact and it was still mounted on 37"rims with inflated tyres. The leather upholstery was intact but much worn - however the seams, patterns and all the unique pockets in the doors were importantly still there. Now the comprehensive work of disassembly started separating the body from its frame and then everything was sandblasted and painted in a base coat. The leather was carefully removed to display the wood inside the body, and amazingly, all the woodwork was as good as new and not a single piece had to be replaced. All parts of the vehicle were separated, evaluated and cleaned, and the engine was rebuilt. At Gjern Automobile Museum they managed to source 8 original, new pistons and when the engine was completed it was installed in the car and test run. The car was painted, using older techniques, in a deep Royal Blue with Black wings at auto spray shop Christian Vestergård, Viborg. All the leather was fed and buffed and the hood was measured and recreated by upholsterer Tage Nielsen in Viborg, and all concerned in this project did a fantastic job on this commodious old Cadillac. Many months of re-assembly followed and finally the newly chrome-plated brightwork was attached. This is an important rescue of what is, now, a rare car and the quality of the workmanship appears superb. Anyone who has ever been to the Shuttleworth Trust in Bedfordshire and marvelled at the simply amazing standard of restoration of the many WW1 aircraft there, could well picture this lovely Vintage Cadillac sitting comfortably in the middle.