- The Brubaker Box was a kit car designed by Curtis Brubaker.
- It is considered the first minivan.
- Brubaker got the idea from Volkswagen Minibuses, and decided to try and update the concept. The kit was designed to fit on the chassis of a Volkswagen Beetle. In 1972 after a deal with Volkswagen could not be reached, Brubaker began buying completed Beetles and converting them to Boxes, selling the excess pieces. However, this scheme did not prove profitable, and very few boxes were ever constructed. Brubaker filed for bankruptcy the same year. Investors in the company tried to continue manufacturing the Box in various ways, the only success being Mike Hansen's Automecca, Chatsworth Ca in 1974 with its "Sports Van."
Brubaker Box/Automecca sports van
Automecca, Brubaker, Various
Body and chassis
kit car, minivan
Longitudinal rear engine,
Volkswagen Type 1
The Brubaker Box was assembled on a complete Volkswagen Type I chassis. Due to the extended length of the body compared to that of a standard Volkswagen Beetle the foot pedal assembly was relocated forward and up from the standard position. For increased safety the fuel tank was moved from the front to the center of the vehicle.
- Constructed from fiberglass the body was made from 13 inner and outer panels, including a floor panel, riveted and bonded together. The whole body was designed to bolt directly to an unmodified VW bug chassis. In the first prototypes stock front seats from Ford or VW were retained and a lounge-type seat was created for the rear of the vehicle. To add to the rear seating area a foot stool / cushion was added above the fuel tank.
- A single sliding door on the right side was the only entrance. The radio and switches were in the door panel to the left of the driving position. Shock absorbing bumpers of composite construction were designed to look like curved wood. The spare wheel was mounted to absorb frontal crash energy. For sunny days a large removable panel was positioned in the center of the roof panel. To reduce production costs parts from other vehicles were used. Front windshield was from an AMC Javelin, tail lights from a Datsun Truck and various other parts from an El Camino.
The Brubaker Box and several other vehicles produced by Brubaker were featured on the TV Show Ark II.
One can be seen in the original release of Soylent Green in the Tree Museum scene.
A Brubaker Box is used throughout the film Grid Runners (Also known as Virtual Combat) (1995) Directed by Andrew Stevens.
Prior to production an article detailing the vehicle specifications and initial test drive appeared in the magazine Car and Driver issued March 1972
1970s VW Karmann Ghia Coupe
In rust free condition from Californian
It is a rolling shell with fiber glass front end ideal for race car !! ?? restore in its own right!
It is currently located in Ramona, Southern California ready to be shipped to the UK.
Please email [email protected] .....
1977 V W Bay window camper van.
In rust free condition from california in need of restoration.
Its a rolling van missing the engine and its a automatic not manual
It is currently located in Ramona,California ready to be shipped to the UK.
For more information email on [email protected] .....
For sale i have a 1980 mark 1 vw caddy diesel its in need of paintwork but runs and drives fine.
please note this car is located in Ramona california 92065. We have the Californian title for the car. We ship every week to our shop in Ashbourne Derbyshire. shipping to the uk is 1250 pounds plus tax .....
For sale 1982 mark 1 vw caddy its in need of paintwork and for the engine to be put back in but comes with it would be a easy project.
please note this car is located in Ramona california 92065. We have the Californian title for the car. We ship every week to our shop in Ashbourne Derbyshire. shipping .....
1968 Volkswagon Beetle
..Red Paint Good
..'73 1600cc Air Cooled Engine
..12 Volt System
..e-Mail or call for 23 photos
..Priced Way Under $10,000 USD
..Make Me An Offer
..Call Rod: 001-712-767-2363 USA
..Cell Phone: 001-402-651-5521 USA
My name is Jeffery from Malta Europe
I am on the lookout for a vw karma ghia in rhd from owner in any condition
I have a friend in UK which will view car, payment will be by bank transfer before pick up.
Malta number (+356) 79491563 Mr Jeffery
UK number 07786 368210 Mr barrie clapson
This top restored Samba Bus is a real rarity.
The vehicle was delivered in Austria in 1963 and was always kept in Austrian ownership. Every single bolt and nut of the car have been completely restored or renewed.
This VW is an absolut collectors choice.
More information and pics on oldie-point.at
Perfect restored T1 with a platform for sale.
The vehicle and engine is completely overhauled. It is ideal for advertising or just to get an unforgettable ride on weekends. For further information just give us a call. Find more pics on oldie-point.at of this Frame Off restoration.
If you want to .....