Following the success of the 14/60 2 litre model launched in 1925, Lagonda looked to improve their range with a larger engine. In 1926 the then managing director of Lagonda, Brigadier General Metcalf, asked Davidson and Masters to design a 6 cylinder engine, to be called the 16/65. The result was an engine with a bore and stroke of 69mm × 120mm producing 2692cc with pushrod overhead valves. The engine proved a little underpowered so in 1928 the engine was bored out to 2931cc (and later 3181cc). These engines had 7 bearing crankshafts and twin SU carburetors.
These extremely quiet and smooth-running engines were exceptionally reliable and long-lived and were manufactured to the highest possible engineering standards from the finest material, as was the whole car. It was, of course, a rich man’s toy at the time and at the time the most expensive car the Lagonda Company had produced. It is believed that they lost money on every example with survival dependent on the other models subsidizing it. It is hard to believe that a touring car of it quality could be produced for £1000 even in the 1930s! However this quality shines through today and they can still hold their own even with model traffic cruising comfortably at 70 mph and a maximum close to 85 mph.
Testing a Lagonda 3-Litre in 1929, The Motor reckoned it was 'difficult to imagine a car nearer an ideal than one which combines the full performance of a speed model with the top gear performance of the best modern touring car.' The 3-litre was, indeed, exceptionally flexible, being able to accelerate from 5mph to its maximum of around 80mph in top gear.
Motor Sport summed up the 3-Litre Lagonda as 'a very pleasant car of very high quality, and possessing that indefinable but very definite character which stamps the thoroughbred in every walk of life'
The car we offer here is chassis number 210091, a 1932 Lagonda 3 Litre, registration PJ 3482, with a T2 touring body. The early history of the car is not particularly well known other than it was first registered on the 26th of February 1932 to Major Thomas, Patrick, Houssemayne Du Boulay in Canterbury as a black saloon bodied car, before being owned by Reginald Beal in 1952, Philip Tucker in Spalding in 1966 and Nicholas Haynes in 1973. In the late 1970s Mr Haynes had the car rebodied as a T2 Tourer although who undertook the work is not known. What is know, from the MOT certificates, that after this work the car was used a little every year but not a lot covering roughly 150 miles a year between 1992 (3,396 miles) to 2012 (5,172 miles). The car has now covered 5,321 miles.
During this time PJ 3482 was cared for by the watchful eye of Lagonda specialist John Batt of Reynard House Workshop. The majority of the car has seen work carried out at some point including a new stainless exhaust system and manifold in 2006 and a top end engine rebuild on the engine in 2007. Between September 2010 and January 2011 John undertook a major commissioning of the car that included an overhaul of all the brakes with new liners, servicing and maintenance of the front and rear axel, clutch and gearbox service, carburetor service, new valve springs and top end de-coke, a service of steering box, a new battery, a new fan belt, a radiator service and re-mount as well as numerous other small jobs. The car also benefits from fleshly repainted wheels and a new set of Blockley tyres that were fitted in July 2017. There is a nice history file with the car which also contains a good photographic history of the service work.
The car presents and drives very well and is available for immediate inspection.
Pre-war racing specials are part of the very fabric of motoring in the UK and each represents the unique story of a car and the people that built and developed it. These specials were common during.....
Reference Number AW160216b
Make Aston Martin Lagonda
Model Lagonda 3.0L DHC
Drive Side right
Odometer reading 71320
Exterior Colour Green
Interior Colour Cream
1957 LAGONDA Litre RHD.
This is an opportunity to acquire one of the last 78 four door "Sportman Saloon" bodied by Tickford surviving with last engine (same that Aston Martin DB2 and DB2/4) designed.....
4-litre 6 cylinder, 236 hp. Only 55 cars built. RHD, automatic transmission. First registered in the documents 1979. Delivered new on December 5th 1963, Matching- Numbers, vehicle history very well.....
In 1925, Lagonda decided to steer the company on a slightly different route. Lagonda was known for very nimble and light cars but decided to start heading to more luxurious and sporting models. The.....