A charming & very original car bodied in 1924 by Barker as a Doctors Coupe. This car comes to us with a massive set of bills for a full mechanical overhaul performed by marque expert Mr Graham Ashley Carter whilst the proprietor of Hofmann's of Henley. Some £38,000 worth of Hofmann's bills come with the car. As a result the engine is running as sweetly as only a properly set up 20hp can. The previous owner has just completed a final jaunt through France venturing as far as Santander putting over 2000 trouble free miles on the car.
The car is finished in a putty colour with black wings. The paint is heavily patinated in some areas giving the car a very period appearance & none the worse for it. To the interior is pale grey leather in superb order extending also to the dickey seat in the rear. The hood is of Japanned black leather & is fitted with a miniscule oval rear window typical of these barker convertibles. Tidy under the bonnet; the car is fitted with a nickel bulkhead mounted Klaxon horn. The wood dash contains a full complement of instruments. The wood extends to the door tops & rear quarters in typical barker style with raised relief.
I have to stress how beautifully period looking this car is & how well it drives. The car is an absolutle delight & trots willingly along at 50MPH all day long. We are performing a full service to the car prior to sale & also touching up one or two areas on the paint. The cars history is well known over the years & reads as follows:
The first lady owner of GMK76 was Mrs Thomas Harrison Hughes (nee Bradley), her husband was a scion of the T & J Harrison Shipping Line which dates back to 1853 – their original trade was the importation of brandy from the Charente region of France.
By 1924 T&J Harrison had taken over the fleets of John T Rennie (7 ships & passenger line to Natal), Rankin-Gilmour, the Crown Line of Prentice Service & Henderson and also the fleet of Scrutton Sons & Co. In WWII Mr Harrison Hughes was knighted for his services as Director of Liner Division for the Ministry of War. The Hughes family bought their home of 34 Queen Anne’s Gate in 1920 after the death of Sir Edward Glenconner (Scottish industrialist) whose grandson Colin Tennant developed the Isle of Mustique, favoured by Princess Margaret, the Glenconner’s London home of 34 Queen Anne’s Gate housed their extensive art collection which included works by Reynolds, Gainsborough, Ramsay, Hoppner & Fragonard.
Mrs Harrison Hughes only kept GMK76 for a few years and by 1928 the car was with Mrs Phyllis Cantrell-Hubbersty of Ragdale Hall in Leicestershire. In 1894 Queen Victoria granted Albert Cantrell Hubbersty Royal Licence to “use the name of Cantrell in addition to and before that of Hubbersty & to bear the arms of Cantrell with their own arms”. In 1923 Albert’s son William Phillip married Phyllis Mary Hermoine Bethell – she was the grand-daughter of H. Willoughby the 8th Baron Middleton & her father’s family owned Rise Park in Hull (once owned by Richard Plantagenet the Duke of Gloucester better known as Richard III.) The Cantrell-Hubbersty family were a fervent hunting family & the mainstay of the Quorn Hunt with Major Cantrell-Hubbersty being acting Master from 1940 until his death in1947 and Phyllis Cantrell-Hubbersty from 1948/51.
In 1946 the chassis cards show that GMK76 is with Frederick Alfred Gatty of Overwater Hall, Carlisle (GMK76 was not the first 20hp that Alfred had owned as in 1937 he purchased GFN10); Alfred made his fortune through the development of Khaki dye which the Army had adopted during WWI. Alfred was a great collector and upon his death in 1951 the estate & contents were auctioned off – amongst the 2,000 lots were 2 canons, 12 bottles of 1878 vintage cognac and a chair carved from the timbers of Nelson’s flagship “Foudroyant”.
A gallery of large high-resolution pictures may be viewed on our website.
Office 01375 379719
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
We have available for sale this delightful motor car indeed, very handsome coachwork by Connaught, lovely with lots of charm. This Rolls Royce has spent the last 42 years in the USA, with only a couple of owners. Original owner Squadron leader Alfred Newman purchased the car in 1928, and kept the car .....
1928 Rolls Royce 20hp Tourer.
Chassis number GUJ15
Registration number 897EFD
A delightful little tourer under previous continuous ownership or several decades. During that time much money has been spent to keep the car in tip top order as evidenced by copious bills in the service folder from .....
This beautiful Rolls Royce has been fastidously maintained and comes with a lot of provenance.
Lots of receipts to show work done to it. Beautiful body by Martin & King Coachbuilders Melbourne.
Ex Lord Mayor of Melbourne's personal vehicle.
Very Original car now available with lots of documents .....
The Rolls-Royce 20HP was produced from 1922 until 1929, concurrent with the company’s larger models, the 20HP being very much a luxury car in miniature. The Twenty was offered only with one chassis length of 129 inches with a number of coachbuilders fitting bodies that epitomised the grandeur and luxury .....
1923 Rolls Royce 20hp Barker All Weather Cabriolet.
Chassis number: GH31
Registration number: XR9474
Perfection needs few words. This beautiful original Barker bodied car wears desirable all-weather cabriolet bodywork as supplied with when new, sometimes know as touring Limousine coachwork. .....
1928 Rolls Royce 20hp Gurney Nutting Weyman Saloon
Chassis number: GBM60
A stunningly restored car in concourse show condition. This car wears a Gurney Nutting Weyman saloon body. originally fitted to a 4 ½ litre Bentley reg no. KL3579 which was converted to Le Mans .....
A charming example, full of character, with interesting features such as ‘V’ windscreen, scuttle-mounted sidelights, low level RB50 headlights, correct, 23” wheels (included the rear-mounted spare), and a roof vent in the rear compartment. The coachwork is tall and formal, still in its original black .....
1927 Rolls Royce Hooper Doctors Coupe.
Chassis number: GUJ59
Registration number: ZA478DY (Italian.)
Supplied New to The Earl of Iveagh, this particularly pretty fixed head doctors coupé was bodied by Hooper. The car went to Italy just after the war & has been there ever since in two private .....
This special vehicle has spent most of its life in Canterbury New Zealand .The car was purchased new in London by Mr George Humphreys of Daresbury, 67 Fendalton Road Christchurch. The Humphreys were abroad on holiday in the United Kingdom where they travelled in the car and returned with the vehicle .....
A unique oppertunity to purchase this exceptional 20hp. With Playboy Roadster style coachwork. Previously owned by famous dancer and film star Fred Astaire. I have lots of documented history, including invoices for £40,000 spent on mechanical restoration in the last 2,000 miles.
This work was all .....